Part 43: Ancient Challenge

"Hello, Kyros." Charles's voice was deep and gravelly. His eyes did not leave my face, and I hoped it was because I was new to all of this, but I got the sinking feeling there was more than that. Just before the door closed, another came in, younger and muscular. His look was stern, angry. This guy was a soldier if there ever was one. 

"Charles, Liam," Kyros reclined in his seat.  "How are you these days?"

"Oh, fine, fine," Charles nodded. "My mate and I have enjoyed travelling since my retirement."

"Healthy." Liam answered, looking directly at me. "Ready for anything."

"Good," Kyros gave a curt nod. "I haven't seen you in years, I am pleasantly surprised. Along with Edward--" he watched his cousin shake his head no. "So...what brings you here?"

I felt his tension, in fact, the room was filled with it.

"Introductions?" Charles gave a smile that did not reach his eyes. "This...beautiful one at your side?"

"My mate, Leilani Martin," he raised my hand and kissed it, giving me a smile that was soft and affectionate, and I felt safe in this room of wolves for the first time. Who knew it would be a smile and not ferocity that would do that? "And my brother, Asa, I think you know him--"

"I did, I do," Charles nodded with a smile. "I remember him."

"He is my third in command," he said with a small smile, one that dared the older one to step out of line.

Charles nodded respectfully. "Well, a little chaos never hurt anyone."

"Not chaos," Kyros said slowly. "Simply a new order. Mine."

"Ah," Charles nodded. "And all are in agreement?" He did a sweeping gesture. All nodded except of course, Noah. "Noah?"

"I think I need more time to adjust, is all," Noah averted his gaze.

"Ah," Charles said. "Time....and maybe...a rite of passage?"

All went silent, silent as a grave. I swear I couldn't hear breathing.

"What?" Kyros's voice had turned into a growl. I touched his arm as he leaned forward. 

"Many years ago, when a young alpha came into power, we would have a rite of passage," Charles smiled. "The alpha would brave the wilderness while being pursued. It is a game of tag or sorts--"

"A deadly one, sounds like," I said aloud.

"Agreed," Edward was frowning now, reclining in his own chair. "Careful, Charles."

"Simple rite of passage," Charles shrugged simply. "And you may have one of your choosing to go with you."

"That would be me," I said, leaning forward.

"No."

I turned to Kyros. "It would be best to have Asa and Gordon here to hold things down while this happens," My gaze turned to Charles. "to ensure no one undermines your rule."

That made Charles frown, but Kyros shook his head.

"I think it's a good idea," Asa nodded.  All turned to him. "I can think of no one better."

Kyros felt outnumbered.

I turned his face by his chin and looked in his eyes to whisper, "I will live and die by you." 

"And I by you," Kyros covered my hand with his own. He turned to Charles. "Who is solved. When, where, who and how?"

"I will be head of the party that hunts you," Charles smiled.

"Surprise, surprise," Edward shook his head. "I will stay here while you are gone on this...challenge, cousin. How many in this party?"

"Two more," he said quickly. "I am an old man, you know."

"Choices?"

"Noah."

Noah smiled, and nodded, "A pleasure and honor--"

"And my own son, Liam."

"Just who's rite of passage is this?" I asked. "This sounds more like a father son hunting trip!"

"Shut up--"

"Don't you tell me to shut up!" I growled. "On behalf of my mixed race human mother and half breed father , you can kiss my ass!"

Liam made a move toward me and I jumped on the table. "I'm gonna enjoy showing you your place."

Kyros looked shocked. "Lani--!"

I was angry, almost in rage. 

"My, my!" Edward sounded amused.

"Please." Kyros's voice sounded far away.

"Liam?" Charles called softly.

I extended my hand, and Kyros helped me back  to my chair in my chair. "Who, check. What, check. When--"

"Two days?"

"Where?" 

"The Shenandoahs," Charles smiled. "You will have to travel through them and get to the southern territory."

Kyros's eyes narrowed. "Aren't the Shenandoahs partially vampire territory?" 

"That's a risk for both parties," Charles nodded, giving a small smile.

"And a risk of the treaties!" Asa interjected.

"Truthfully, they've been out of line for awhile," Aidan shrugged. "Our turn."

"Besides, if they attack first, it's self defense," Liam shrugged. "We're just passing through. Fair enough?"

Kyros looked around the table. All waited for his answer. "I want no contest after we win this."

Charles looked impressed. "Fair enough."

"Fair enough," Kyros growled.

The meeting was adjourned. Kyros said goodbye to everyone. Finally all that were left were Asa, Kyros, Edward and me.

"Why did you second her motion?" Kyros asked Asa angrily. "She's innocent--"

"Of many things, yes, but is highly trained in warfare and survival," Asa told him. "You are mates, and will not let anything happen to each other. In the meanwhile, your second and third command as well as your cousin will ensure no hostile takeovers while you are gone."