"So, what happened, Elijah?" Nicholas asked. "There was some concern in your voice when you called."

"Someone broke into my apartment. Well, I don't know whether to say broke in, more so, walked in since they knew the security pin to enter the apartment."

Nicholas raised an eyebrow up in question. "Interesting."

"Morena was also in the apartment. I was across the street getting some food for dinner when I received her SOS text."

Nicholas looked at me worried eyes. "Are you okay?"

"Oh, I'm fine. I don't think they saw me, but I saw them."

"I have the footage if you want to look at it later tonight," Elijah asked.

"We can do that."

It was silent for five to ten minutes, so I took advantage and ate as much as I could before someone else spoke. Though, no words were exchanged and I was nearly done with my plate. Nicholas ate his food, as if it was a chore and Elijah finished around the time that I did and his eyes wondered around the dining room. Is this how it was everyday after his mother died?

"So, Elijah told me you are a lawyer. How is that going?" I never knew how to start a conversation so I usually started it by asking about a person's work or their major, depending on their age.

"It's a tiring job, especially when you take on as many cases I do. Though, Felix and Elijah have been great help to my law firm and have actually helped with the burden."

The corner of my lip turned up, thinking it was admirable to see a father and son work together. "So I'm sure you two see eachother often?"

"Not everyday. You think I would, but he is usually busy with his cases and I with my cases."

I nodded, not knowing how else to continue the conversation.

"Tell me more about you, Morena," Nicholas asked.

I shifted in my seat and recited my usual bio. "I'm a freshman at George Washington university. I'm majoring in biological science, but might end up changing it."

Nicholas crackled a loud laugh, one that came from his stomach. "Although that is interesting, it doesnt describe who you are, Morena. What are your interests? Disinterested in? What is your favorite color?"

I stared at him blankly with my head tilted to the side. I wasn't one to be into hobbies or do much, I was always just around. I didn't feel like there was much purpose for me. I was born, I grew up and will continue to and then I will die. There just wasn't much to it, or to me but how could I just admit that all to a man I hardly know?

Elijah rubbed my back as he noticed that I was struggling to come up with an answer. "Maybe we should call it night, dad. We all had a long day."

"Very well," Nicholas sighed. "Perhaps we can talk more for breakfast."

I turned to Elijah and kissed his cheek. "I know you two have things to talk about, I'm just going to go upstairs."

"Are you sure?"

I nodded. "Where's your room?"

"Up the stairs, make a right and go all the way down. My room is at the end of the hall. I'll be up in an hour."

I walked towards the front of the house, which was actually quite a walk, to get my backpack and headed upstairs but stopped midway up when I heard Nicholas speak.

"I'm not sure what my opinion is on your girlfriend."

"An opinion that I wouldn't want to hear anyways," Elijah responded in annoyance. I've never heard Elijah sound so young and childlike. Maybe all children speak to their parents in that same tone, regardless of how mature they may seem to others.

"Elijah, there's no need to get defensive. It's just an observation. She seemed interested in others, but once the spotlight was on her, she became quiet."

"Dad, she's had long day."

Nicholas groaned and I could hear the clattering of dishes. "I don't get the impression that you know her too well either. How did you meet someone seven years younger than you?"

"Online. It's a common practice for my generation to seek relationships through the internet."

"Yes, my son, who has never had a social media account meets someone online. I certainly believe that," Nicholas responded sarcastically.

Elijah didn't respond. All I heard was cabinets being opened and the microwave being pressed on.

"Regardless of what I say, Elijah, you know yourself more than anybody else. If you believe she's good for you, then I'll respect that. Though, are you good for her?"

More silence. If I were able to see him I'd be able to tell if he was thinking or if he was defeated.

"We are good for eachother," he responded with certainty.

"As long as you know your answer and are happy with it. Now, show me the footage."

I continued walking upstairs with my head hung low. I didn't know what to think about the conversation I had with Nicholas and the conversation Elijah had with his dad. It was a lot to process, and honestly, I really wished I could just be in my bed.