Chapter Four - Boot Camp part one

Start from the beginning

Amee opened her eyes and returned to the present where it was close to ten and everyone who was going to arrive had arrived.  She was more nervous than ever considering now was the time that she had to prove that she didn’t have two left feet.  She got up to her feet and pulled out her headphones to hear what announcements were going on.

“We will call you all in Alphabetically,” said a voice over the intercom. “A through K will be first so please line up in front of the double doors.” The voice finished and Amee walked towards the doors and waited for them to open the doors.  When the doors opened everyone walked in and took their seats. Anyone who didn’t know the person sitting next to them seemed to be on the phone or paying more close attention to their iPods than they ever have since they got it.  It seemed like the only people talking to each other were those who were in groups that got through to boot camp and even them were in hushed whispers.  When the boot camp director came to the podium to talk, however, there was pin drop silence.  It felt like no one was breathing in case they would miss something.

“Welcome contestants,” Rebecca Winston said with a smile and continued “I know that you weren’t exactly expecting a speech so let me keep this short.”  The crowd politely laughed at the woman who clearly though this joke was the best she had ever said.  Rebecca however spoke for what seemed to be a half hour.  She droned on and on about rules and expectations which were the same things Amee heard pretty much since the first grade.  Amee found herself falling asleep.

“Bit hard to stay awake isn’t it?” came a voice from next to her. The girl had pin straight blonde hair.  It seemed like she dipped herself into a vat of designer things and pulled herself out before she came to boot camp. “I’m Natalia Everest and this boy next to me is my friend Mikey,” Natalia said as she looked up She gave her a sweet smile, but Amee could see something fake behind it.  She looked like the bully who called you fat and ugly as a kid.  The bullies who stole your lunch money were scary, but the bullies who call you ugly are the ones that mentally scar you for life.  There was something about Natalia that said that she knew she was above you.  She wasn’t afraid to squash anyone down friend or foe.  Mikey was a cute chubby boy who looked no older than sixteen.  He had square rimless glasses and freckles dotted over his long nose.  The major difference between Natalia and Mikey was that Mikey seemed to be a bit more inviting.  Amee smiled and replied “Amee, Amee Jonna.”

While Rebecca was giving her speech, Natalia and Mikey spoke to Amee about how she felt about the competition.  Though it looked more like Natalia was doing all the talking and Mikey and Amee were sitting and listening.  When suddenly Mikey said, “I remember where I saw you, you were going right before me and Natalia at the auditions. You ran out and they let you back in.” Mikey had impeccable timing.  Rebecca was just about to finish her speech and all but Rebecca were silent.  When Mikey spoke everyone heard him, including Rebecca. 

“Speaking of confidence,” Rebecca started as she looked in the crowd and found Amee sitting next to Mikey, “We have someone who ran off the stage and got the courage to come back and own the stage, Amee Jonna!” On that note she started clapping.  Amee sank lower into her seat and thought ‘God, if you exist you will swallow me right now.’  However, Amee had no such luck.

“Stand up Amee, and be proud” Rebecca called. ‘I hope there is a sinkhole right underneath my seat that will open up and swallow me whole.’ Amee thought and once again Amee’s wish was not granted.  ‘Oh great now everyone knows that I am the one who ran off the stage and they are going see me as fresh meat up for the offering, we are dancing today and I am the one with two left feet.’  Amee rose and stood awkwardly as everyone clapped and cheered and she was standing after the clapping stopped until Natalia pulled her down.