Chapter Four

"You don't want to know." Dr. Watcher said as he wheeled off. Volt glanced at Sparrow, before he sighed.

"Can I trust you Spare?" He asked softly. "I mean, one hundred percent trust you?"

"Yes." She said. "You saved my life. You can trust me."

Volt sighed, before in a flash of lightning he raced around a dummy that was set up at the front of the room. As he ran away from the dummy, his suit now was on it, and he skidded to a stop in front of Sparrow, now wearing jeans and a white T-shirt, while he ran a hand through his shaggy black hair. His green eyes focused on her as he lowered his arm. Sparrow opened her mouth and closed it. Her first thought was about how cute he was. She was not expecting this. Sparrow slowly removed her mask and hood. She looked at Volt with blue, nervous eyes. Her short brown hair framed her pale face. She smiled slightly at the speedster.

"You look better without the hood and mask." Volt said with a small smile. He extended a hand and said. "The name's Matthew Wood, but everyone calls me Matt."

Sparrow took his hand and shook it. "Glad to finally know your name, Matt." Sparrow said. She looked at Matt's eyes again.

"You look familiar," she started. "Have we met before?"

"If we have, I don't remember." Matt said, before reaching into his pocket and pulling out a folded piece of paper. Unfolding it, he held it out to Sparrow, revealing a newspaper clipping with the title "Wood running for Governor?" Below the title was a picture of an adult man with a huge smile, his hand resting on the shoulder of a boy standing next to him. With a start, Sparrow realized the boy in the picture was Matt, before his hair had grown out of control.

"Wow," She said softly, looking at the date and realized with shock that it was from three years ago. "Did he win the election?" 

"Yeah." Matt said with a wry smile. "My dad and I don't talk that much anymore. Heck, he was content to leave me in a coma and dying over and over again after I got hit by lightning at the same time the particle accelerator exploded. If it wasn't for Dr. Watcher coming to get me from the hospital, I never would have woken up and become Volt."

"At least you know your parents." Spare mumbled then looked Matt in the eyes. "What about your mother? And how did Dr. Watcher find you? Why did he help you?" 

"My mother's dead." Matt said, sighing. "Killed when I was young. As for Dr. Watcher finding me, I don't know. And he helped me because he felt indebted to me."

"What do you mean 'he felt indebted' to you?" Sparrow asked, raising an eyebrow.

"His invention almost killed me," Matt said softly. "He felt the least he could do was help me learn how to use the powers it gave me."

"Then why is he letting all of the people who work with Tremor live on the streets?" She said, getting angry. "All of the people that live in that building were affected by the explosion. Why only pick a few of people like us?"

"Don't ask me that," Matt said, turning. "Because I don't know. And Dr. Watcher won't answer it either. Now, you want to come see where I work while I'm not Volt?"

"Ya," Spare said. She couldn't shake the feeling that there was something Dr. Watcher wasn't telling her.

"Then follow me." Matt said as he walked towards the doorway, grabbing a leather jacket off the back of a chair and putting it on. "Trust me, I got a sweet ride."

Sparrow raised an eyebrow then realized that she was still in her uniform. "I think I should change." She said with a smile. "I have hidden bags of things all over the city. Could we stop by the skyscraper on 5th street?"