Chapter 5: Research

The library seemed always empty. Now I'm not talking about the school library we're horny teenagers go to piss off the librarian. I'm talking about the public library where no one went. Not even the outcasted of the outcast came here, but here I was on the computer writing down important things to know about sir Ryan Ross.

The first thing I needed to do was to figure out my patient. That part was easy. Let's see, abusive parents may be a parent: skittish, paranoid, lack of sleep Self-harm: long sleeves no matter the weather, sleeve holes to keep from riding up, holds onto arm like it's going to fall off. Trust issues: no friends, lack of communication, abusive parents

That's all I could think of at the moment. Pretty good list for starters, of course not all of it was going to be accurate but it would be close.  I closed out of the tab I was in and finished my journey by logging out of my account.

Patrick wanted to meet at his house to work on our biology assignment together. I still had about an hour before I had to leave for his house; not that it would take me long since he was a couple house down. What would Brendon do in an hour you might ask? Go home and lay on the floor until it was time to go would be your answer.

And I did just that, with a couple of texts from me, Dallon, Josh and Patricks group chat of course.

Dallon🙃😎: does anyone know if waters wet

Jish👽: no

Pat💜: Not this again Dallon I swear I will throw my shoe at you from my house.

Me: Dallon water is wet

Dallon🙃😎: is it though?

Pat💜: darnit Brendon 🙃🙃

Dallon🙃😎: because apparently water in itself isn't wet 🤔

Jish👽: how's everyone doing with there patients

Me: Ryan hates me🙁

Jish👽: Tylers at my house as we speak

Dallon🙃😎: HI TYLERRRRR

Pat💜: go, Josh

Dallon: ill have you know that Ryan and I are like best buds now

Pat💜: Pete might have too many issues for me to fix but it's going great

Dallon🙃😎: I didn't get a 'go Dallon' 😒 do I need to repeat myself

Me: Dallon you're amazing

Dallon🙃😎: I know

Me: Patrick I'm coming over

I turned my phone off and speed down my steps. "I'm heading for Pats!" I yelled.

A cluster of 'I love you' and 'be safes' came from the house before I left. No need to knock, that's one thing we never did. "Hello, my second pair of parents." I smiled at the Stumps who were sitting on the couch."

"Brendon!" Patricia smiled. "Patrick is upstairs, you staying for dinner?"

"If that's okay with you I'd be happy to."

"Of course, it's no trouble."

She shooed me upstairs. Now I did knock on the bedroom doors.

"Come in!" Patrick yelled.

I was hit in the face with a cinnamon smell. I glanced over at the warmer on his desk and it now made sense.

"Welcome to the place you've been many times." 

"Ah yes, " I smiled and placed myself on the floor.  "So how's the poster about whales going."

"I haven't started." He walked out of his closet with the poster paper and a bunch of sharpies. "I feel like we're in middle school again with all these posters we've been doing. I thought group work would die with freshman year but I was wrong. Not that I don't like being paired with you I just hate the hasel."

"No, I get it. Group work sucks, but hey, at least it's better than writing a thirty thousand page essay."

He nodded and plopped down next to me. The rooms aroma changed from a pleasant smell to a toxic sharp smell. A ping of a headache shoved its way to me, causing a sigh to escape from my mouth.

"Are you okay?" Patrick asked his eyes flickering from the poster.

"Yeah, just a headache nothing major."

He nodded and turned his attention back towards our work.

I picked up a blue sharpie and started cooling in the whale we drew. It looked more like a blob with eyes but it's fine. For some reason that I couldn't explain, I kept thinking about that bench at Seven Eleven. Maybe it had to do with the conversation with Ryan? I had no idea.

Patrick, I guess caught my confusion, "What are you thinking about?"

"A bench at Seven Eleven. I recently talked to Ryan there so I guess that's why I'm thinking about it."

He always seemed to go pale when I mentioned his name. "What if you picked another person. Ryan doesn't seem to like you much."

"Maybe he'll come around." I thought of something that I found weird, "I tried talking to my dad about it and he got all weird which brought me back to when I told you guys at lunch and you and Josh got all weird. The only one who's been okay with it is Dallon."

His paleness turned to a slightly irritated look. He opened his mouth to speak but quickly shut it.

"I'm set in stone though. I'm going to help him."