Chapter 94

It was late or rather early given that it was exactly 3am. After Klaus had left with Elijah and Rebekah, I had put Hope to bed. I rejoined the party for a little while but knowing Hope was upstairs drew me away. Given I had spent so long away from her, I only wanted to be near her.

So here I sat on the chair in her nursery, watching the rise and fall of her chest as her little lungs worked to push and suck in tiny gasps of oxygen. It's crazy to think that we were all this small once. Even Klaus. But she was so delicate and pure that comparing her to ourselves just feels wrong.

My eyes were beginning to close until I sense a presence at door. I turn around in the chair, seeing a red, puffy eyed Klaus watching Hope in utter despair.

"Nik..."

His eyes find mine, tears streaming down his face. I instantly move from my seat, walking over to him and pulling his body to mine. He instantly wraps his arms around my waist and cries. His sobs are silent but husky as his voice strains to find words.

"He's gone."

"Shhh. I've got you Nik. I'm right here." I mumble against him, feeling a wetness growing on my bare shoulder, given that I was still in my dress.

I hear Hope begin to stir so I take his hand in mine and pull him into our bedroom, shutting the door behind me. His eyes can hardly look at me so I take his jacket off, swiftly followed by his suit overcoat. I undo his tie as he sits down on the bed and stares into space, reminding me of the time he killed Carol Lockwood.

I pull my dress up and bend down, pulling his shoes from his feet and placing them at the foot of the bed. I stand back up to unbuckle his belt, leaving it on him, just undone. My fingers work against a few of the buttons on his shirt, undoing them to give him some room to breathe.

I then push him back on the bed, his head hitting the pillow. I look up to find his eyes finally watching me, begging me not to leave him. I kiss his temple before getting off the bed. I reach around to undo the zip, finding it a hell of a lot easier to undo rather than do up. Sliding the dress from my body, I allow it to drop to the floor, picking one of Klaus's Henley's from his drawers. Throwing it on, I rejoin him in bed, pulling my body to his and clinging on for dear life.

For a while we just lay there together, his hand playing mindlessly with my hair as he stares up at the ceiling. My head rests on his chest and I slowly take in his decreasing heart rate, knowing that he is finally calming down.

"I'm sorry about Kol. I can't imagine what loosing a brother must be like."

At first he doesn't answer and that's totally fine. It's when his fingers pause that he decides to answer.

"I imagine it's a lot like how you felt when you lost Damon."

My heart jumps at the unexpected words he spoke so subtly. His words strike a chord in my chest, my heart hurting. Maybe I do know what he's going through, though I imagine a thousand years with someone can change a person.

"I want to help but I don't know how."

"Just be with me." His chin meets his chest as he looks down at me and I up at him. "Fall asleep in my arms and tell me you love me."

I kiss the fabric covering his chest, my hand rubbing over his pecks.

"I love you Nik. So much."