-36- The Masked Merchants; don't Sell Masks.

"I told you before, Cross!" Takara punched the boy on the head, leaving a huge bump, "Leer's still just two months old! He's just learning how to swim well, so he cannot save anyone in the water! He can't lift a grown man from the sea! Understand?"

Cross sniffled, the large bump on his head hurting.

The man they had saved was an old man with a salt-and-pepper beard. His features were wrinkled but scrunched up in a kind of fierce manner that--

Visul picked up the Red Demon Mask that had fallen on their ship cabin just a while ago.

She thought his face matched the mask, somehow.

Then suddenly, the old man bolted up, screaming "AAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!"

"AAAAAHHHH!!!" Cross screamed back.

"Shut UP!" Takara smacked them over the head with a pan.

Visul was petrified, all her hair raising on its ends like a scared chihuahua, surprised by such sudden shock that she was frozen completely solid. Eyes wide in horror, she clutched Leer in her arms, both stoned.

"JAHAHAHAHA!!" the man guffawed, "Ah, I gotta say, you really scared the hell outta me there! Thanks so much for saving me!"

Visul and Leer stayed in the farthest corner of the room, neither a fan of loud, sharp noises.

The man had claimed ownership of the red oni mask, thanking the white-haired girl with a sense of tact and delicacy absent from his ear-piercing laughter.

"Ahaha," Cross laughed back with less excitement but still boisterous, "it's no big deal, I'm glad you're okay, mister Grandpa sir!"

"Ah, my name is Enma," he introduced himself, extending a hand in gratitude, "I'm a passing merchant!"

"I'm Cross, and this is Takara, and that's Visul and Leer!" Cross beamed, flamboyantly pointing at each person he introduced, taking the offered hand with both of his, "we're pirates!"

Silence overtook the boat.

Takara's face was in his palm, speechless. He wasn't going to try anymore-- he officially gives up. He's hopeless. He's beyond help and salvation. Send healing for his poor head. And a brain for this dumb child.