-26- A Virtue that Fails; to Cope with Desire.

"The Shikke are commonly known as the String Ninja," 

Ray told her children, swirling white, glowing threads from her fingertips as she wove into a tear in the blanket, "our Chiryouito originates from a land at the edge of the Grand Line-- we keep it hidden even here, because it cannot be shared with the outside world."

"I thought sharing was nice?" Luz whined, the child complaining to his mother, "why can't we share it?"

Ray chuckled, pulling the last thread to place-- "the Chiryouito is only inherited by very, very little of us. So if we married someone outside our clan, the amount of people that can perform the Chiryouito would decrease even further. Do you understand?" 

"Nope," Luz mumbled.

"I didn't get it either," Visul pouted.

Ray laughed. The fabric in her hands began to mend itself, the broken portions of the seams joining together slowly as the white, glowing threads held them together, binding the pieces.

"Both of you can do it, which means you're both special," she smiled, "to the Shikke and the Yun, the both of you are the only hope for coexistence."

At the time, neither Luz nor Visul understood a thing their mother was trying to imply. 

The rain simply poured over the world today, too, on the island the sun never shined on.

  ー  

"Did you really think you could win against me?" 

Elder Yun was exasperated. His hand on Visul's neck, holding the girl up by her collar.

Visul's arm hung down the side, limp-- her other shoulder was burned through her clothes, bright red skin contrasted against the black of soot and the white of her paleness. A trickle of blood ran from a broken lip, a ringing in her head spun around by the feverish environment.

"Your pathetic string-- you're just a weak, tiny spider trying to fight against an inferno," Elder Yun snorted, "did you resist without that understanding?"