Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

“Why should anyone focus on the negative when there are other people out there in the world who have greater problems?” I asked.

“I never really thought of it that way…” Niall said as he scratched the back of his neck.

“We’re getting into a really deep conversation,” I told him.

He laughed and nodded his head.

The rest of the night was absolutely perfect. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Wade’s POV

            I knocked on the psychiatrist’s door. I refused to call him my uncle. What if he was the one who murdered my parents? Cecilia stayed in his front yard and was guarded by other members of the FBI. Jason stood beside me. I knocked forcefully on the door three times.

“Christopher, it’s the FBI. Open up!” I yelled.

A few seconds later, my patience wore thin and I kicked the door in.

Jason went to the right and I took the left path. I walked into a room but no one was there. Just as I was about to leave, I heard Jason screaming. The hair on the back of my neck stood up as I ran out.

I ran in the direction of his voice and I almost threw up at what I saw. Jason stood in the doorway and Christopher lay in his bed all bloody.

“What happened?” I asked breathlessly.

Jason’s face was deathly pale. On the foot of a bed was a note.

I put on gloves I had in my pocket and I picked it up and read it.

“I did this for a reason. Christopher talked to his nephew. He shouldn’t have. No one will ever catch me. I know at least one of the three children will read this, so keep in mind that I am still alive. I do not plan to be caught. If you try to pursue me, then do it at your own risk. I had my reasons for killing your parents and if you try to expose me, I will find a way to justify your deaths as well.”

I let out a jagged breath as I stared at the letter in silence.

“It’s a man,” Jason said.

“How do you know?” I asked.

“Women use more adjectives whereas men are more straightforward,” He said.