Chapter 2

Adelaide

I go outside to get some fresh air. I walk in the hot sun. It's always hot here. We don't have winters with snow or cold like the other countries do, or so I have heard. I have never seen snow, I have never seen anything outside the castle really.

I walk between the food booths, dancing people and happy children running around and having fun. I feel a pang of jealousy. Why can't I run around and have fun with kids, why can't I dance and have friends?

This'll probably sound pathetic, but why the hell can't I eat good food? The only thing I eat day and night is bread and soup.

I keep walking and see my two sisters, Martha and Eliza, walking with their guards behind them. Not that there is any danger, but just for show. The guards are holding a parasol each with their heads high and looking at the people with expressionless faces. I really don't understand these people, the only thing they do every day is looking perfect like dolls and treating everyone like roaches that need to be stepped on.

I go inside again, not wanting to drown myself in self-pity. I walk up the stairs and to the far end where my room is. My room isn't much, but at least I have a bed. I lay down on the bed, maybe I can rest my eyes for a little before I get to do more chores.

Just when I close my eyes, I hear the door open. I sit up expecting to see my stepmother or sister, but when I really saw who just entered my room I felt my heart leap out of my mouth.

"Get up from your bed and kneel for your king, you uncivilized scoundrel! Have I been too kind to you? Is that why you have lost your manners? Do I need to discipline you again?"

I leapt out of bed and knelt before him.

"You may stand."

I get up and look down at my feet. I feel my heart hammering. Why is he here? Did his wife tell him that she found me eating when I should've been cleaning? Oh god, I didn't even finish eating the plate Elenor has made for me, I will starve to death if he puts me in the dungeon now.

"I have news for you my dear," I go completely still.
He has never ever called my dear. He doesn't even call me by my name. Something must be terribly wrong.  
Maybe your wish came true and everything will be better from now on, says the voice in my head.

"What is the news father?" I ask hesitantly.

I usually call him King, or Your Majesty. His usually expressionless face morphs to one of fury, but it quickly goes away again. I probably shouldn't have pushed my luck by calling him father.

"In a week's time, the king of Pollemperies will be visiting the castle. Do not make a fool of yourself, dress like a Royal and behave like one."

I just stared at him, not knowing why I all of a sudden should act like a royal when I have been treated like a slave my whole life.

Why is our worst enemy visiting us anyway? I keep staring silently, I'm just about to ask why, when he speaks.

"You will be marrying the king of Pollemperies."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I hope you enjoyed this chapter, if you did please Remember to vote and comment
See you in the next chapter