41 | do it

[ PART THREE ]
m a x

the day started like any other.
the usual, regular interrogation by my parents and then me getting annoyed and leaving the house earlier that i need to.
however, today is different.
different to all the other days of the year that i get interrogated because on this specific day, the
interrogation is too unbearable to sit through.
today is a bad day.
a very bad day.
and no one seems to realise it but me.

i slump in my chair at the vinyl desk-for-one, flicking at the tape that peeled from the display on the wall. mr gates drones on, i wasn't quite sure what the topic was, some king or other.
what felt like the back end of a pencil jabbed into my shoulder blade from behind.
i turn around to see mike, a smug look plastered on his face, "marc got the stuff, you coming out later? "
i nod, "wouldn't miss it"
" that's my boy! " mike whisper cheers as i turn back around, continuing to flick at the half peeled off piece of tape.
i knew deep down going tonight wouldn't be a good idea but i had no choice.
it was either stay at home and be constantly reminded that my family are oblivious scums, or go out and take my mind off things.
so really, i only had one option.

as soon as the bell rings, indicating the end of third period and therefore introducing lunch time, the loud cacophony on chatter starts as pupils pile out of their classrooms in every direction.
from across the hall i catch lucas' eye and he gives me the nod.
as i begin to approach him, someone collides into me and cuts off my pathway.
" excuse you! " i exclaim, jumping back in disgust.
" sorry, sorry, " the person apologises, " i zoned out for a second "
" no kiddi- sadie? " i freeze.
there she was.
standing in front of me clear as day, yet i still couldn't build up the courage to admit i was wrong.
" oh, hi max " she mutters.
" hi " i sigh.
she purses her lips and nods lightly, " well i best be off i'll see yo- " she begins but is interrupted.
not by me, but by non other than mike hurley.
" you can't go now! the funs only just starting, now that you're here " he smirks, the rest of the boys chuckling behind him.
my face starts heating up and so does sadie's.
not in a good way, not in the same way they did the first time we kissed, but in a bad way.
" i- i have nothing to say to you " she replies.
" you don't have to, i'll do all the talking " mike says.
he then turns to look at me.
" now, max, this has definitely turned out better than i'd hoped, " he says, almost sounding excited, " you constantly insist that you've completely forgotten about sadie and now, here's your time to prove it! "
i shake my head, scared for what insane idea mike has brewing up inside his head.
" so prove it, " he says through gritted teeth, " hit her"
sadie gulps and i quickly switch my eye line to looking at her.
"now mike don't you thi-" i begin but he stops me.
" do it max. well of course, that is, if you're completely over her and see how useless she actually is "
right in that moment i wanted to scream at him for calling her useless.
i wanted to murder him.
he gives me a shove from behind, pushing me closer to sadie.
she looks me in the eye, her eyes growing watery and she shakes her head lightly.
" i- "
" stop stalling! just hit her already! she's only a girl! do it! " mike exclaims.
" do it! " he repeats, everyone else soon joining in and a chant of people shouting " do it! " soon forms.
i look down at my hand and lift it up, staring at my palm as i do so, not daring to look sadie in the eye.
i wanted to turn around and hit mike instead but i knew i couldn't.
sadie hates me, and doing this will only make her hate me more.
but if i don't, she'll still hate me and so will the boys.
i'll have no one.
so by doing this, at least i'll have friends.
well, that's what i tell myself at least.
i close my eyes, allowing my cold hand to collide with sadie's left cheek.
her head jolts to the side as all the boys cheer.
i open my eyes to see sadie crying, her hand placed on her cheek.
she turns her head and looks up at me, " i hope you're happy max. you are a vile human being and i couldn't be happier to finally have you out of my life. so feel free to run off and get high, but when these friends let you down and leave you in the dirt, do not think for one second that i'll be there for you, " she says, " have a nice life "
she runs out of the doors, all the boys laughing behind me.
" what a joke " mike chuckles.

i find my eyes watering too as i watch her go.
today marks three years since harvey's passing and in that moment i knew, i'd let him down.
today was a bad day.

•••
okay first things first, i'm sorry this book is so dark omg i'm sorry.
also max is not like this in real life!!
this is merely a chapter to carry on the story and if this isn't a story for you then skidaddle.
- m