33 | with fury

[ PART TWO ]
m a x

i trudge along the pavement at a sedate pace, my mind focused on the gentle footsteps that seem to echo throughout the desolate street.
" hey! max! wait up! " i hear talia call, as she catches up and begins walking alongside me.
" hey "
" you seen sadie lately? " she asks, causing a confused expression to spread across my face.
" yeah "
" is she okay? i mean, josh told me everything and she is still my best friend so, " talia rambles, but i cut her short.
" yeah, she's fine, she's living with me now, so no need to worry "
" your parents were okay with that? "
" no, it's kinda secret. they don't know " i explain, which, for some reason, causes talia to giggle.
" and what happens when they find out? " she says.
i stop walking and turn to face her, my hands latched tight onto the handles of my backpack, that wrapped around my shoulders.
" look, they won't find out. you picked josh. so don't act all concerned now "
" i didn't 'pick' josh, i gave him a place to stay. just give him a chance, max! he's a good guy "
i roll my eyes and walk ahead, leaving talia trailing behind.

i shove my bag into my locker and slam the door shut.
as i turn around, i come face to face with the person i wanted to see least.
" so, mills, heard your girlfriend is back in town. i'd love to meet her! "
" what do you want, mike? another black eye to match? " i snarl.
he chuckles, " don't act all hard now, mills. we know you don't have the balls to do it again "
" you wanna test that theory? " i ask, stepping closer to him, my teeth gritted.
" i'd love to " he says.
i clench my fists together, causing my nails to dig deep into the skin of my palms.
however, i don't throw a punch.
i just stare deep into mikes eyes with fury.
" see everyone, he really doesn't have the balls " mike laughs, pushing me by my shoulders and watching amused as i stumble to the ground, " come on guys, let's bounce "
and as i sit there, watching mike walk away with my old friends following, a wave of rage washes over me and i jump up, charging towards them.
i shove mike from behind and he stumbles forward.
there was stillness on both sides.
if hatred was visible the air would have been scarlet.
then suddenly movement, so much force was put into every blow.
i rain blows onto mike as if i meant to smash him into the very earth and mike did the same.
each of us didn't just want the other dead, we wanted each other smashed, obliterated, nothing left to bury.
teachers ran out from classrooms and tried to pull us from off of each other, as we both eagerly tried to swing another punch.
mike was taken one way, and i was taken the other, leaving nothing left but the baffled faces of our fellow pupils, and the few drops of blood that lay scattered on the floor.

" knock, knock " i say, my voice scratchy, as i enter my bedroom.
i see sadie sat on my bed, staring blankly at the wall in what seemed like a state of shock.
" you okay? " i ask, which causes her to snap out of her trance and face me.
" y-yeah, yeah, why wouldn't i be? " she smiles, but it wasn't like her usual ones.
it was sweet, or shy, it was fake.
so clearly fake.
" you know i'm not buying that bullshit " i say, closing my door and walking over to her.
" you should, it's on sale " she replies, i chuckle. 
" seriously sadie, what's up? "
she sighs and completely turns her body to face me.
" promise you won't freak out? "
" i promise "
sadie inhales intensely, then exhales and lifts her face so our eyes meet.
" my dad's back "

•••
oh snappp
i'm mainly updating this to annoy IrrelevantAnna because she wants me to update my other book instead :))))
love you anna boo!!!!
also this is random max moments that happened in the same day mashed together bc i didn't know what else to write :)
- amelia