26 | escape

[ PART TWO ]
s a d i e

the cold air hits my skin like a punch in the stomach, all of a sudden and forcefully.
it pries my eyes open and causes me to wake from my nap.
i sit up - dazed and confused - and allow my eyes to wander over to the source of the coldness.
i then see josh perched upon the window sill, staring out at the bare twilight sky.
" josh? " i say, my voice scratchy, as i make my way from the bed and over to him, " what are you doing? "
" just...thinking " he replies, not breaking his gaze with the starry night sky.
" about what? "
this time he turns his head to look at me as i place myself next to him on the window sill, " what life would be like if we weren't here, you know? "
i've never seen josh in a state like this before.
he looks relatively upset.
numb even.
his eyes were coated in sadness however the rest of his body refused to show it.
his posture resembled normality whereas his eyes showed so much more.
" tomorrow mr and mrs walker will be back and you'll have to go back to the basement for how ever long, isn't that just torture? i need you here with me sadie, you make this whole thing so much more enjoyable " he says, a mix of emotions detectable as he spoke; sadness, confusion, even a hint of excitement which took me by surprise at first, but made so much more sense as the next few words left his mouth, "....how about we run away "
my eyes widen as i look at him.
he jumps down from the window and runs over to his bed. he then he slings his duvet over his shoulders, pretending it was a coat i assume.
" just me and you, wandering the streets and going wherever the wind takes us, " he begins, before dropping the duvet and running back over to me, grabbing me by my shoulders, " and that boy, what's his name? max! yeah max! we can go and visit him if you'd like "
" josh i- "
" come on sadie! wouldn't it be so much fun! " he takes my hand in his and pulls me out of the bedroom and all the way downstairs to the front door, opening it and stepping outside, " just me and you. two teenage best friends who have been neglected by the world, now facing it together "
we were now both stood under the night sky, the bitter atmosphere wrapping around our bodies and causing them to feel slightly numb.
" i- "
" please sadie " he pleads, looking directly into my eyes.
" i say we pack now and leave early morning before mr and mrs walker return "
the corners of his mouth up turn as he embraces me into a hug.
" this is going to be so much fun " he whispers.
and i knew he was speaking the truth.
i was going to see max again.

" what are you guys doing? " josie whispers, " isn't it like...4am?"
both josh and i sigh,
we've been caught.
" you're dreaming. go back to sleep " josh says in a high pitched tone, waving his arms around in the air like an idiot.
" if i was dreaming, wouldn't i already be asleep? "
josh puts his hands down and turns to face me.
i let a small chuckle escape my pursed lips as i face josie.
" look josie, josh is just taking me back down to the basement, nothing much "
her eyes bounce from josh to me, and then from me to josh continuously.
" hmm, with all those bags? " she says, raising one eyebrow slightly.
" uh huh, when we got sadie back last time she was practically starving! don't want anything happening to her again " josh says, patting me lightly on the back.
" whatever, you're both so weird " josie says before falling back onto her pillow.
me and josh exchange glances before scurrying out of the bedroom.
the only thing we left behind was a note explaining our departure, and apologising to jonathan for stealing his phone.
oops?

•••
so sadie and josh are free
what next?
also i'm going to hold a vote rn
so
would you like this story to have a happy ending? or a sad ending?
- amelia