Chapter 6

Kerys has always looked cold

Kerys has always looked cold. She is all ice and snow and sharp lines, salt blonde hair cropped close to her head, icy eyes- like Matt's- boring into you.

They are directed at me now, as I stand nervously before the desk. Valley Riding School has an office strewn with papers and haphazard documents. Posters depicting types of bits and saddles and the points of the horse decorate the walls, alongside photographs of various horses which I assume are from Kerys' past- before she started Valley. The riding school doesn't have a long history, this I know, because Kerys only arrived here six years ago. Before it had been a private yard at the back of the owners house, devoid of equine life. I have ridden here since its beginning.

"How can I help you Abby?" She asks, lowering her stare and getting to work on this week's list. I notice that she hasn't written Red's name down, instead giving Quinn an extra two lessons.

"Well, Red's been doing well with his jumping..." I say, after a moment to gather my words into a coherent sentence. "So I was wondering if I could take him to a show?"

Kerys lifts her eyes sharply from the paper, giving me her full attention as I explain that it's a fifty centimetre class at Fairfields, I could hack there, it would only take an hour in total.

I can see Kerys thinking. She makes no facial expression, but I know her well enough now to know that silence and a distant gaze means contemplation. My weight shifts between my feet as I twist to glance outside and back again to receive a supportive smile from Penny, who stands just outside the door.

The image of Seasons Stable begins to infiltrate to my head as I wait for Kerys' response. Sara's offer to arrive several classes too early just to watch me ride, the comfortable way in which Matt, Sara and Mr. Smith interact in the office, the chiselled faces of quality horses hanging over pine stable doors. Ode to Spring, how she jumps as if from a trampoline, and dances like a lilting poem, ridden by a boy so at ease with her motion that they become one- a centaur in a showjumping ring.

"No."

"What?" I clap a hand to my mouth and stumble to correct myself. "Sorry, I mean ok. No problem."

Kerys pushes her paperwork to one side and takes a sip from her mug of tea as she rises, "Sorry, I can't spare Red next week." She begins to head towards the door, where Penny has disappeared to fill nets in the barn. With her go my hopes of finally joining the world of those with their own ponies, those I have always envied.

Grasping at the last of these hopes, I stop Kerys in her tracks: "I can pay."

"Sorry?" She turns, placing her mug back on the desk.

"I can pay you, to take Red." I explain, "I got a new job- the people there are taking a few horses and said they'd help me out."

"I'll think about it." And with that, Kerys leaves to teach her first lesson of the morning. "Oh, and Abby?"

"Yeah?"

"Sweep the yard for me? It's a mess."

---

Red almost gleams.

He's gained condition, and despite the fast progression of autumn his coat is sleek- in comparison to Quinn anyway. Hana's mount is like a bear or a fluffy rug trotting up the lane. We ride in single file for the roads, Penny and the skewbald Sally-Ann in front, the horse's long legs covering the ground much faster than Quinn, who is struggling to keep up. In front of me rides Hana, the hi-vis gilet her parents bought her reflecting shards of dappled light. Then, there is me.

Red trots with quick strides and a bounce in his step, ears pricked to the heavens and nose in the air like a glorified llama. I leave him be, focusing on keeping him steady behind the ever chilled Quinn.

This is the first time Red has hacked out since he came here. Yet, I feel strangely comfortable, as though there is no chance that he could ever put a foot wrong. We walk as we approach the corner of the bus stop, and I run an encouraging hand down Red's neck. It shines under the sun- ruby red.

As we follow the road around the bend, the woods give way to emerald fields on our right. They are populated by only a scarce spattering of horses, all bays, who graze in the centre. Sally-Ann- Penny's mount- whinnies, and they raise their regal heads to observe us as we pass. Red tries to cross to the right and get closer to them, but I squeeze my right leg just behind the girth to keep him in.

Just in time, as a car whizzes past.

"The cars tend to come too fast along here!" Penny shouts, "But the bridleway's just after Fairfields." This is more for Hana's benefit than mine, as I know this road like the back of my hand. The paddocks on the right belong to the equestrian centre, and as we ride (and clouds begin to close in), the arenas begin to take shape behind the fence.

A drop of rain hits my cheek as I watch a rider schooling in the outdoor- only the top of her head can be seen above the hedge- and another dampens Red's coat as I see the rubber arena in the distance, covered by a flat roof. A tractor approaches from behind, rumbling and rattling. Red begins to jog a little, but we guide the horses out of the way to watch the tractor pass. As we pull into the driveway of Fairfields Equestrian, the heavens open, and the sky is steel.

-

I hate this chapter so much, it's short and the writing is hideous but I wanted to get it over with and start the next one 😬

Do you think Red is fleshed out enough? Or do I need to put more focus on him?

What are your opinions on Kerys?

Did you skim any section of this chapter? If so which one?

Thank you so much for reading, and if you answered any of those questions- remember I'm always happy to have a look at any of your books in exchange :)

Please vote if you enjoyed!

-