- XIX.

______

FIND YOU

CHAPTER NINETEEN;
( history. )

❛ jack is brought into the crossfire

❛ jack is brought into the crossfire. ❜

______

WITHOUT KNOCKING, SHE opened his door. The Governor, half-empty glass of whiskey in hand, turned the moment his door screeched on the hinges and watched as she stood helpless under his stare. Then, reaching out of view for her crutches, she finally took a supported step into his apartment. "Nice of you to show up, Jack," he commented, making his way to his desk to pour her a drink.

"You ask, I provide," she huffed humorlessly, cocking her eyebrows. Slowly but surely, she made her way to where he stood, silently taking her glass from his hand and leaning against his desk. "It sounded important," she added quietly, bringing her glass to her lips. Watching his attention fixate on her brought to mind their last encounter - when he called her useless and irritated her fresh wound. He seemed to be in better spirits today, finally out of his shellshock, but she told herself not to get her hopes too high just yet.

"Well," he stepped forward, "I'm sure you know that Andrea spoke to your people in the prison. As far as I know, they're willing to negotiate."

Her eyebrows furrowed. Many things about his response rubbed her the wrong way. His nonchalance of, "your people," was the first one. So, it was now not a secret that that was her family? And he seemed to be fine with it? Of course, it's not like she could go anywhere and stab in the back, but she expected him to at least be more secretive or defensive about it. And the negotiation - the negotiation also confused her. The people in the prison (her people, as he liked to remind her) almost had no choice but to negotiate, but was The Governor really willing to?

He didn't just seem in better spirits. She'd only been in the same room as him for a mere 2 minutes and already deduced that he was acting very out of character. (Or he was finally revealing the facade he'd kept hidden from her and everyone else for months. Recalling their last talk seemed to support that theory, but she pushed it out of mind for now.)

"Well, what exactly are we negotiating?" she questioned, staring up at him.

His shoulders rose with a sigh, then a slight smile broke out onto his face. Fake, of course, but she decided not to question it. "A way to end all of this peacefully," he answered lightly. "I don't want anyone else dying." Jack thought it sounded reasonable enough, slightly nodding her head as she took another sip. "I was hoping I could convince you," a slight pat on her shoulder in passing, walking past her and towards his window, "to come with me when I go."

She cleared her throat, mind racing with conflict. Were they back to normal now? Were his unspoken accusations against her to be forgotten? Was she meant to move past his rudeness? They'd just disregard the ongoing war with those in which she shared blood, disregard Elijah's "disappearance," disregard Glenn and Maggie and Merle? She wasn't sure she could do that, at least not without talking about it just once, but she knew now wasn't the time.