- VIII.

______

FIND YOU
CHAPTER EIGHT;
( kindred. )

❛ elijah regrets his decision. ❜

______

______

THE SHED WAS actually pretty quiet, Elijah thought. Aside from the sounds of a redneck's fist colliding with Randall's battered face, the latter barely able to manage to cry anymore, it was quiet. Once upon a time, the two were yelling at each other, playing cat and mouse with the information needed - but that only hurt Randall in the end, despite all of his pleadings.

Elijah, however, was almost untouched. Only the side-effects of his imprisonment were harming him: the dryness of his mouth, the rumbling of his stomach, the-

In one swift motion, the redneck spun to face Elijah, hitting him hard enough to knock his entire frame to the wooden floorboards. "How many in your group?" he asked, glaring down at Elijah, waiting for him to sit up straight once more.

"I-I've been telling you I don't know," Elijah responded hesitantly, trying his best to keep his cool. "I'm not with them."

As soon as Elijah managed to turn himself upright, which proved to be immeasurably difficult due to his hands being tied behind him, the redneck threw another punch, knocking him right back down. "How many?!"

"I don't know!" Elijah exasperatedly answered. "I don't know-"

"Bullshit," the man muttered under his breath, fists clenched at his side.

Elijah shook his head in response. "No, no, I've been by myself since the beginning," he tried assuring the man. "I just needed some bandages, but then they all started shooting and Randall started screaming so-"

As soon as the man began to retract from his fists once more smashing against Elijah's bloodied mouth, his face was met with a stream of blood, thoughtlessly shot from Elijah's mouth. Elijah couldn't help it, really. No thoughts coursed through his mind, just anger - anger, because there was nothing he could do to protect himself or his friend; anger, because his own stupid decision landed him here; anger, because this place would probably be the end of him.

The man stood idle for a moment, a shaky hand rising to wipe the blood from his face - but then, all at once, he roughly threw Elijah back to the ground, his combat boots repeatedly swinging against Elijah's abdomen, crushing the ribs beneath.

"I cleared those buildings. You guys get this one?"

"No."

"We're looking for Dave and Tony and no one checks the damn bar?"

Shotgun in hand, Elijah watched as Nate opened the door to the bar, only for it to be slammed shut from the inside. Immediately, he tensed, taking small steps towards the door. "Someone pushed it shut," Nate whispered to the other men in their small search group. "There's someone in there."