- X.

______

FIND YOU

CHAPTER TEN;
( trust. )

❛ jack faces the repercussions of her departure

jack faces the repercussions of her departure.

______

MOONLIGHT UPON THEM, the pair stayed silent. However, the sounds of hooves against concrete and the clamor of neighboring crickets made sure that things would never truly be silent - and that was fine, really. It was almost enjoyable.

There was no way of knowing what time it was, but they knew it had been a few hours since their escape; the midnight sun was high in the sky and they were already quite a distance from the farm. It was a good thing, Jack thought, that they'd made it this far. (She wouldn't be surprised if her family was still unaware of her disappearance. She wasn't as important as Sophia - and Jack was sure that Rick didn't care enough to chase after another stupid kid. Especially one he perceived to be a threat.) However, on the other end, it also meant that it was too late to go back now.

And she didn't even want to, anyway.

It was a feeling like never before. To be free - not only of the confines of some dairy farm, but also of the confines of judgment and reputation. It was like a brand new start, a brand new life. As dangerous as it was to hit the road with nothing but a horse and a probable-fugitive, it was undeniably exciting and... refreshing. Monotony would no longer exist around her nor inside of her.

The streets were deafeningly still. With no sunlight, she couldn't even see the trees swaying beneath the weight of winter. Only the faintness of a cream-colored building in the distance. All else was pitch-black.

She thought it would be scary, in all honesty. Not just to be away from her family, but to be faced with the art of decision-making. They could stop at whatever building this was, settle in for the night. At the same time, they didn't have to. They could stop somewhere in the morning. It was nerve-wracking and it was exhilarating. She, for the first time ever, held her own life in her own hands.

But she didn't fail to consider who sat in front of her.

"Do you want to stop for the night?" she softly inquired, as if speaking any louder would get them caught.

"If that's alright," Elijah hesitantly answered. "I'm starving."

Of course. She almost forgot that, over the course of the week, all his rights as a human had been neglected. He was probably dying to stop for some water and a snack, but just didn't know how to ask.