- XIV.

______

FIND YOU

CHAPTER FOURTEEN;
( clash. )

❛ elijah's loyalty is tested

elijah's loyalty is tested.

______

"WE LOST ALL three of the others... Tim, Crowley, the other one."

"Gargulio," the Governor's scratchy voice reminded Merle, earning a nod from the older male. "Jesus," he hissed, shaking his head in disbelief.

"Yeah," Merle breathed, looking over his shoulder at the youngest of the three men, who silently hovered over their whispered conversation, "she cut Tim down, put her sword through him. Then biters got in the middle of it, then I got her."

Suddenly, it made sense why Merle was keeping an eye on Elijah. Aside from the fact that Elijah witnessed Gargulio "accidentally" get caught in the crossfire, Merle must've wanted to make sure that Elijah would keep up with their story. If only Merle knew just how good Elijah was at fabricating reality.

"Damn," the Governor huffed. "Well, we'll dress it up. Give 'em a hero's funeral. You two tell a story: a supply run gone sideways... Do you have 'em?" Things were silent. The Governor oscillated between looking at Merle and Elijah, expecting one of them to at least speak up. "Her head. The sword."

Elijah watched as Merle's body language shifted. Of course, they didn't have the head or the sword, because Michonne was still alive and breathing. But the Governor didn't need to know that. "We did," Elijah stepped forward, clearing his throat. "But once the walkers came, and Crowley and Gargulio went down, they got lost in the fight. We had to leave them behind."

The Governor's eyelids narrowed as he glared at Elijah. For a moment, it really seemed as if the Governor could snap his neck right then and there out of pure anger. However, before the Governor could begin barking, Merle spoke up, "We brought back something else for you, though. A guy I used to know from the Atlanta camp and his pretty little girlfriend."

"They know Andrea and Jack?"

"Mhm."

With an inaudible sigh, Elijah's eyelids fell closed. His jaw clenched and he had to bite his tongue to stop from exploding right then and there. He told Merle, over and over again, that it was a bad idea to bring them back to Woodbury - but it was an even worse idea to get the Governor involved. Because, now, there was no going back. What the Governor didn't know wouldn't hurt him, but his knowledge of Jack and Andrea's old group would definitely hurt someone.

"Anyone else?"

"Don't know," Merle answered. "Found them on the return trip. From the looks of 'em, they gotta be set up pretty good... I'll find out where."