- VI.

______

FIND YOU
CHAPTER SIX;
( team. )

jack thinks back to happier days.

______

______

JACK WAS NERVOUS to have another younger sibling, for reasons she couldn't quite identify. When her parents told her she'd be a big sister for the first time, she practically jumped out of her own skin with excitement. However, that was over a decade ago; she was less than ten years old.

Now, nineteen years old with a soul ready for retirement, she had this amalgam of inner emotions and conflicts when thinking about the baby on the way. There were just so many things that could go wrong– too many uncertainties. What would it even eat? What would it sleep in? What if it never stops crying?

And then, the obvious: what if someone dies because of it, or what if it dies? The thought didn't necessarily sadden her, but just burdened her. It was a weight she didn't need. The baby itself was just something they did not need, and something she didn't really want. However, her opinions held no significance, and that was something she had to come to terms with.

Jack's attempt at coming to terms with such things only consisted of lying awake, staring at the tattered ceiling of her tent. Somehow, she believed that simply thinking about something equated to getting over it– which was completely and utterly inaccurate, not that she would know. Yet, she tried and she tried to climb over that mountain while not even wanting to first get out of bed. That seemed to be her biggest problem: idleness.

And that's where Shane found her, laying in her tent with an arbitrary book in hand, skimming the pages like they actually interested her. The last night she was able to actually read was the night of Otis' murder. Ever since, she didn't have the patience to read every word, analyze the material and learn from it- like she used to. She just wanted the big picture, nothing more and nothing less.

"Dinner's ready," he said, shattering the beloved silence like a bullet through glass. "C'mon."

She sighed, chest rising and falling sharply. As she sat up, she tossed the book to the side. "Take a wild guess who pestered me about Otis earlier." She'd been waiting to tell him– like a child excitedly telling their guardian what happened at school that day. He was the one person she could vent to about it, for no one else would even begin to understand her frustration. (Sometimes, however, she'd catch her faith in Shane faltering. Her faith in everything remained inconsistent.)

A moment of deep thinking washed over his expression, and then a look of incredulous realization. "Oh, my God," he breathed. "Who else would it be?"