- XV.

______

FIND YOU

CHAPTER FIFTEEN;
( crossroads. )

❛ jack makes a sacrifice

jack makes a sacrifice. ❜

______

"SIX OR SEVEN guys... I've never seen them before."

"Are we under attack?" Haley was quick to question, frantic eyes darting back and forth between The Governor and the supposed "victim." "What should we do?"

"Everyone," The Governor began, spinning on his heel to face the group of onlookers, "please just go home, lock your doors. We need to keep everyone safe, okay? So just get inside, keep your lights off."

Once the crowd began to disperse, muttering concerns under their breath, the Governor turned to face the ones who remained: his own private militia. However, Jack couldn't necessarily say much; she and Elijah were right there with them. "We're under attack," the Governor quietly stated, so as not to draw any more attention. "You fan out and you find these people. Don't take any chances, or try and take prisoners... You shoot to kill."

The small group of pseudo-soldiers split and only Jack and Elijah remained. As the Governor stepped forward with his eyes glued to Jack, mouth hanging open as he began his sentence, Elijah automatically put a hand on Jack's shoulder and led her away from the older man. "You want to go home?" he asked quietly, slowing to a stop in the middle of the street.

"Why would I?" she shrugged.

"Well" he looked around at the smoky, warmly lit warzone, "it's dangerous. This doesn't have to be our fight."

"Elijah," she sighed, rolling her eyes exasperatedly, "you, of all people, cannot say that. Let's just get this over with."

Stopping her from walking away once more, he let out a slow exhale. "Can't you talk to me for a second?" he questioned. "I know we argued, but-"

"I'm not mad," she interrupted. "This just doesn't seem like the time or place to discuss it."

"So let's go home."

Jack took a step toward him, trying to be as calm as possible. Every fiber in her being was screaming with anxiety and worry; the possibility that these "intruders" were more familiar faces was just overwhelming. It would be a logical explanation, considering the prisoners, but at the same time, it made no sense at all. She was back and forth between wanting to be hopeful and just wanting to lock herself in her room, and here Elijah was wanting to discuss their relationship. "I don't know how to say this without sounding dumb, but...," she trailed off, "I'm worried it could be the rest of them. The rest of the group. I know that's not likely and makes no sense at all, but I never thought that I'd see Glenn or Maggie again - and look what happened with that. I'm not saying that I'm about to go get myself caught in the crossfire, but I-I just need to be sure."