• 1 •

"Isn't that right, darling?"

It's been three years since Steven left me. I tried calling his phone multiple times, but he never answered. I had a complete breakdown. I told my parents what happened and they were livid. It was so embarrassing.

I didn't leave the apartment that I shared with him for about five months. My best friend, Cynthia, had to come and drag me out of the apartment. It was good to feel and breathe fresh air again. After coming to terms with what happened, I went to therapy. I discovered that I wasn't in love with him. I was in love with his words, all the sweet manipulative things he would say to me. That's what my therapist told me and that's what my mother was trying to tell me. I wish I would've listened. He might've just wanted me for my money.

Stupid Logan.

"Logan!"

I blinked as I felt Cynthia kick my knee under the table. I looked around. "What?"

Cory chuckled. "In a magical world, little sister?"

"Shut up." I rolled my eyes at my annoying older brother.

The six of us, my mom, my dad, my two brothers, my best friend, and I were sitting on my parents patio having brunch like we usually did. It was our tradition for as long as I could remember and when I met Cynthia in elementary school, they let her join. Occasionally we'd get together and talk about what new and interesting things were happening in our lives, considering that my little brother Malik, Mallie as we like to call him, is the only one of us who still lives at home. Cory resides in sunny California and I'm still in Seattle, about thirty minutes away from my parents home.

My mom gathered us this time around to brainstorm ideas for my dad's birthday party. She wanted it to be one of the biggest parties Seattle, Washington has ever seen. My family is sort of on the wealthy side when it comes to fianaces. My dad is a doctor with his own practice, and my mom is District Attorney running her own firm with her best friend, Stacy Anderson.

"Bub." My dad called out. "Are you alright?"

I nodded. "Yes, I'm okay. Sorry for spacing out."

He smiled. "That's alright sweetheart."

My mom smiled at our little exchange and let out a breath. "Alright everyone, let's get back to the topic at hand."

Malik raised his hand. "Excuse me?"

My mom rolled her eyes and pointed to him. "Yes son?"

He brought his hand down. "Can I go out with some friends tonight?"

"Yes baby, you can." She clapped. "As I was saying, your father is having his birthday celebration in a couple of weeks. It's going to be extravagant. The decorators will be here this weekend, please try not to mess up anything. Malik." She gave him a pointed look.

He playfully gasped. "Mother, I would never!"

Cory snorted. "Mom, if anyone's going to mess up anything it would be Logan. You know she's the clumsiest out of us three." He looked at Cynthia. "Well, four." He smirked.

I rolled my eyes. "Speak for yourself loser, you're the one who broke the statue in the front lawn."

Cynthia rolled her eyes and laughed. "Wasn't that his prom night?"

Malik laughed. "Yeah Cyn, I remember that one! Mom was pissed."

Cory groaned. "Shut up."

My mom scowled. "Language Malik, what have I told you about that?"

He sulked. "I'm sorry."

I tuned them out and looked towards the pond on my left. I wondered what my life would've been like if I'd stayed with Steven. I was eighteen at the time and very gullible. I probably would have ended up in a really bad space if I did.

As I looked back on our time together, there's a lot of things that I wished I would have done differently. My friendships for instance, I stopped talking to everyone except for Cynthia when Steven and I got together during my freshman year of college. I was so blinded by the "bad boy" mentality that I lost sight of everything and everyone. I regretted it deeply.

"Earth to second Andrews."

I blinked out of my trance and looked at Malik. "What third Andrews."

He waved his hand around. "Look around apple pie."

I raised my eyebrow and looked around the table. To my surprise everyone had gone back inside of the house. I looked at him and flipped him off.

He laughed. "Can we go to the mall? I have to start finding a tux for the party or mommy will chop my head off."

I scoffed. "She is not going to chop your head off. You're her baby boy." I teased.

He groaned and rolled his eyes. "Logan."

"Sorry babe, I have plans. Go ask Cory."

"I want my favorite person in the world to take me." He flashed me a smile.

I groaned. "Here." I passed him my keys. "I can't take you. Cynthia and I are meeting up with some friends." I let out a breath. "Malik, I cannot stress this enough. Please, take care of my car. If you fuck it up I will kill you."

"Holy shit!" His eyes widened. "Logan are you letting me drive your car?"

I rolled my eyes. "Don't forget to take your license. Please don't make me regret this."

"I swear I won't! I love you so much! Thank you!"

"I love you too, be back at a reasonable time. Oh and remember Mallie, I'll kill you." I blew him a kiss and walked back to the house.