The Abby Diaries: Entry One

Start from the beginning

As I pulled my hands away, I watched the wilted flower blossom in front of me, suddenly standing tall and proud. “There you go, little guy,” I said quietly and smiled.

I took a few shots, playing with the lighting and focus so I had several different options to choose from. When I was done, I stood up and wiped my hands off on my pants.

            There was still about twenty minutes left in the period and it was cooler than I’d expected it to be that day, so I headed to one of the side doors and wandered down the hallway, searching for something to keep me busy until it was time to go back to class. I decided to make my way to the library, figuring that I could at least find something to occupy my time in there. Mr. Fitz, the photography teacher, never let us take our bags with us when we walked around; the rule was that we were always supposed to come back before the end of the period, and he knew if we took our bags with us, that would never happen.

Which was why the book I was currently reading was stuffed deep inside my backpack, just itching to be read. Thank God there was a place that held wall-to-wall books, otherwise I’m not sure what I would’ve done with myself. I wondered if anyone else got antsy when they didn’t have a book to read and were forced to sit alone with their thoughts…

            But back to that day.

I pushed my way through the revolving doors and felt the warmth of the room hit me as I entered. I smiled. It was always cozy in here. Didn’t matter what time of the year it was, I was always comfortable in this part of the building. Next to my bedroom, lounging among the stacks of books in the school library was one of my favorite places to hang out. I made a beeline for the back corner, hoping nobody else was occupying my usual spot. This wasn’t likely since it was so out of the way, but I couldn’t imagine I was the only person at Clearview HS to have discovered the perfect reading perch: quiet, cushy and away from everyone else.

            I was psyched to see the big blue chair empty and balanced my camera on the arm of it before approaching one of the bookshelves close by. Searching for anything that seemed remotely interesting, I read each title and then studied the book covers before choosing the lucky winner. With my story in hand, I made my way back to the chair and fell into it. Running my free hand across the crushed velvet material, I wiggled my butt until I found the cushion’s sweet spot and then gave a contented sigh before opening the book and beginning to read.

            I was immediately immersed in the story and everything around me seemed to drift away for a few minutes. People were always amazed at how I was able to drown out everything around me while I was reading a book. Asher says that the world could blow up around me and I wouldn’t even notice it, as long as I had a great novel in front of me. I thought it was a little dramatic, but hey, you never know.

            I sped through a few chapters within minutes, thanks to a speed-reading spell I’d created a few years back. When I got to a good stopping place, I checked my phone to see how much time I had left in the class hour, which wasn’t much.

            Placing the camera around my neck, I reluctantly got out of the chair, wishing I didn’t have to leave. I put the book back where I’d found it and made a vow to finish it the next time I was in there.

            I took my time walking back through the stacks, letting my hands slide across the books on the shelves as I went. As I began to emerge from the labyrinth, I noticed how busy the main part of the library had gotten. There were about twenty people or so walking around, some studying at tables within eyeshot of Ms. Leighton, the aide on duty. My eyes made a sweep of the room until they finally fell on a girl who was sitting on the floor near the side of the central area. Dozens of magazines were spread out around her and she moved from page to page, studying the contents like they were a riddle to be solved. I watched as a few kids who were talking to each other in hushed tones walked toward the girl, completely oblivious to the fact that she was there. One of them stepped right across the pages, not even noticing that she’d nearly stepped on magazine girl, too.

            The girl on the ground looked up at the group as if she might say something, but then closed her mouth and frowned.

            It was like they hadn’t even realized she was there. I could tell by the look on magazine girl’s face that she knew it, too. Poor kid.

            It’s not like she was even unattractive. In fact, she was supremely average. Bland brownish hair, features that didn’t quite stand out, and even though she was sitting on the floor, I could tell she was tall and thin.

She remarkably unremarkable, if that was even possible.

            And while I had no idea who she was, it seemed that no one else did either. I wondered if she was new.

            Sighing, magazine girl went back to poring over Cosmo and Seventeen, her hair falling into her face, partially obscuring my view of her. Without thinking about what I was doing, I lifted my camera to my eye and took a few shots. All around her, students sidestepped her, barely noticing her existence. And she just sat there, completely alone in a roomful of people.

            It was the perfect shot for my assignment. It might take a little explanation, but it fit the theme exactly. And if that didn’t satisfy Mr. Fitz, I still had the picture of the purple flower to fall back on.

            When I was sure I had what I needed, I let my camera hang from my neck and checked my phone. I was going to be late to class. I took one more look at magazine girl before turning around and rushing out the door.

            I’m not sure why, but I had a feeling the picture I got was totally worth being late over.

            ~Abby

__________________________________________________________________

Hi guys!

Just a quick reminder...if you want to know more about Abby and what happens with her brother Asher and Brooklyn, be sure to go online and order the 3 e-installments of WHAT THE SPELL? (UPDATE: THE FIRST PART IS AVIALABLE TO READ NOW! http://books.simonandschuster.com/buy/What-the-Spell-Part-1/9781442467026/from-other-retailers#ebook_retailers) for .99 each. Seriously, that's less than the price of a water at the movie theater! Remember, the more books I sell, the more likely that publishers will look here on Wattpad for untapped talent. Help a fellow Wattpadder out and you could be the next big writer!

PRE-ORDER ALL THREE INSTALLMENTS BY GOING TO AMAZON AND SEARCHING FOR "BRITTANY GERAGOTELIS" or typing in this link: http://books.simonandschuster.com/buy/What-the-Spell-Part-1/9781442467026/from-other-retailers#ebook_retailers) You'll see all three parts up there. If you order all three or the full book in hardback and then give me proof of purchase (send me an e-mail with your order receipt or a photo of it), you will receive a personal e-mail from me full of book surprises and exclusive content, as well as be entered into a contest to receive an autographed copy of the book as well as a WHAT THE SPELL? gift package! All you have to do is purchase your copy (ies) and then send your proof to bookslayerpr@gmail.com and you'll be entered to win!

Thanks so much for your love and support!

:)
Britt