Chapter 75: One Final Act

Hello everyone! This is officially the last chapter to this story! I hope everyone loved the ride and I appreciate all of your support! If I could just as ONE favor from you... one last time... to just review! Please?

"Severus, wait please! What was he talking about?" Hermione caught up to the dark wizard and touched his back lightly, trying to get his attention that was focused straight ahead.

"Nothing you should be worried about," he mumbled as he turned the corner leaving Hermione exasperated. She shook her head and bit her lip as she caught up with him again,

"What did he mean if things don't go as planned? Severus!" she whispered, trying not to let others around her hear them.

They started to pass by large wooden doors that were so familiar to her and brought back the dreadful memories from the week before. She grabbed his hand and stopped him, "Please, before we go in, just talk to me. You have hardly explained yourself at all this morning."

Severus sighed and turned to her with a forlorn expression on his face, "It is nothing that will affect you. I assure you... merely business, that is all."

Hermione crossed her arms over her chest, studying her former teacher, "If it is merely business... why have you been so distant these past few days? Do you think I haven't noticed? You grow cold at even the mention of our relationship or our future together... Harry has caught on as well. I see the way he looks at you, Severus, when you are talking to him. He knows just as much as I that something is wrong."

Why would he want to tell her? To spoil everything he had worked so hard for? No, he was just distant because of his want of a good future and his worry over it. How could he not? Hermione was now care-free and that is how she should be able to remain. He never wanted to see such pressure on her features. It hurt him to see her in such stressful situations and this little obstacle he had to pass would not be laid on her. If things did not go the way he wanted, he did not care anymore. He would find another position. Perhaps with Ezra or perhaps somewhere else, it didn't matter. What did matter was that he could situate things to enjoy what he had left and to make Hermione as happy as he could.

"Nothing is wrong, my dear. I promise." He assured her and he was being quite honest. There was nothing truly upsetting about what he would proceed to do after the ultimate decision had been made for them in the Hearing. Either way, Hermione would never want for anything under his care.

She stared deep into his black orbs before sighing dejectedly, "Your eyes are telling me something different. Something is troubling you, I know it. Why can't you open up to me?"

He rolled his eyes; he should have known that trying to keep anything from the brilliant witch would be terribly difficult. But he would not falter, "This is neither the time nor the place of which we should have this discussion."

"Severus-" Hermione started but broke off, looking disappointed at the man in front of her.

He rubbed her cheek briefly, "Hermione, would I lie to you?"

"Don't push me away, Severus. It never works." She looked at him seriously.

"What the BLOODY HELL was that for?" Ron hollered, catching up to the couple with Harry on his tail.

Severus and Hermione turned to see the dynamic duo jogging towards them and the dark wizard just moaned slightly under his breath in dread as they neared. Hermione held his hand in comfort as they finally reached them and Harry had a goofy smile on his face.

Harry ran a hand through his hair and fixed his glasses, "Might I ask why I wasn't allowed in with you two? I know it was intentionally against Ron but... what did I ever do? A muggle decided to use the phone and we had to take the long way because of it."