Chapter 23: Shopping and Spying

Hermione was able to locate Cho who was already a good distance ahead of her looking for the robe shop a ways down from Olivander's wand shop. Christmas decorations were taking over the little storefronts and displays. Her eyes were almost overwhelmed by the large amounts of red and green taking over the wizarding shopping place so Hermione was happy to see that the robe shop had a calming blue and silver display, showcasing a magnificent slate blue silk dress with a charcoal grey cloak resting on the manikin's shoulders. Hermione was just as in love with the dress as Cho who was squealing excitedly and pointing frantically to the beautiful gown but she had already decided that she was not going to buy anything. She already had some beautiful dress robes back at the castle… she couldn't be buying so many things on a restricted budget… but the dress did look amazing. She sighed as she was pulled into the store by an excited Cho who seemed to be jumping up and down in delight.

She watched the Ravenclaw girl set out on a quest to find the sales clerk for more information about the beautiful window display. Hermione had not been in the dress shop for quite some time. Since the war, it never seemed appropriate to buy extravagant robes. Finding herself staring at the gown again, Hermione tried to imagine herself in it… dining with all of her soon-to-be colleagues… sitting next to Professor Snape…. All eyes would be on them… for he would be her escort that night. He would be in black dress robes, elegant enough to match her own attire and they would dance the night away under the Christmas tree…

"Hermione! They have the last one in my size! Come, you must tell me what you think!" Cho yanked Hermione out of her dreams and towards a large mirror that faced a small lounging area for her to sit at to watch her friend.

She smiled at her; Cho really wasn't such a bad person after all. Hermione could once recall how annoyed she was with the girl who had flirted with Harry too many times to count, making her friend miserable with her teasing and playful actions towards him. Underneath everything… underneath all of the stereotypes that Hermione had placed on the girl, Cho was a loyal, caring companion. Although they had little in common, Hermione was still happy for the company that she gave.

Hermione had sat on the couch for what seemed like hours until Cho finally made her entrance, wearing the stunning silk gown that hugged her curves in all the right places. She glanced in the mirror at her reflection and smiled happily, pleased with the result but turned to Hermione for confirmation, "So? Do think it is alright? Does the color wash out my complexion?"

"Absolutely not, you look gorgeous Cho… completely and utterly beautiful." She gave a small smile, envying her but pushed her thoughts aside.

Cho smiled in content and quickly turned back to her reflection in the mirror to inspect herself more, "I think this is the one, but would you mind if I try on some more just to be sure?" she pleaded with Hermione who laughed at the girl who looked like a puppy begging for a treat.

"Take your time." She chuckled.

Cho paused thoughtfully, "Hold on… why aren't you trying on anything?"

She shook her head but smiled, "I have some dress robes back at the castle, I am fine."

The girl in the dress frowned and pouted her lip slightly, "How much fun are you having just sitting there watching me? At least try something on so I don't feel terrible for taking up your time!"

Hermione laughed, "Honestly, Cho, I can handle it, I agreed to come to have a good time and that's what we are having. It makes me happy to see you so excited and looking so lovely."

She nodded, not convinced all the way, "Alright, but I would like to pick out a few gowns and robes for you to try on just so I can see you!"

"Your sweet," Hermione smiled at the good intentioned girl in front of her.