Chapter 16 I didn't know

Jabulani

Thanda and I had gone to Dumase's parents' village only to find she was staying with her elder sister. So we left her parents' village to go to her elder' sister's husband's village. I beseeched the Inkosana not to announce my presence by throwing a feast. He complied. Dumase's scent hit me two huts away from the compound. Zumbwe rattled in my mind. "Calm down please. We are almost there." I chided him.

The compound smelled of vomit. Dumase was lying on a mat. Beside her was her elder sister Hlulose pounding maize in a mortar. She stopped as soon as she saw me and prostrated herself on the ground. Dumase turned from her side to face me. I saw it. The tiny oval bump of her tummy creasing her dress. I rushed to her side, kneeling on the edges of the mat. "I didn't know."

"I didn't know either. Not till a week after I got here." Dumase said.

I starred at her, taking in the baby bump peeking through her dress. Dumase pulled herself into a sitting position. "Jabu I know what it looked like. I just want you to know that I didn't leave enukweni to avenge my twin. I left because I wanted you." Her eyes bore into mine. "When I heard that our Inkosana was coming. I saw an opportunity. I know it was wrong of me to attempt to kill him. Especially with my position as your wife." Her gaze fell on the mat. "I have decided to break my oath to avenge my twin. It was purely revenge."

I nodded. I had thought a lot about what I would say to her. But my discovery had thrown all my thoughts out of whack. Finally able to gather my thoughts I said. "As soon as I am mnawa I will try to ensure justice is served. I understand the desire for revenge that you felt."

It was then I noticed her sister and Thanda had left us alone.

She smiled and nodded. I placed my hand on my stomach.

The thudding of my cub's heart filled my ears. "I would never have sent you away if I knew."

"I know Jabu." She smiled, raising her hand to cup my cheek.

"How are you and the cub?"

"We are both okay. The nausea is annoying."

I caressed her small bump. "Hopefully it subsides soon."

"Jabu... I am sorry I shut you out after the trial. I was frightened at your strength and dominance." She said slowly. "All the powerful men I know have used their strength to hurt others. I couldn't fathom how gentility and roughness could co-exist."

"I wish you opened up how you felt Dumase."

"I wish I did too. I am sorry."

"It's okay." I continued rubbing her belly. "Maybe our time apart was for the best."

Her eyebrows shot up.

"It gave us time to reflect."

She nodded. "It did." Her finger gripped my hand which was on her tummy. "I love you."

"I love you too." I smiled. "If you didn't smell of vomit, I would kiss you."

"Then your love is fake Jabu. If you truly loved her, you would kiss her even with vomit in her mouth." Thanda said entering the compound. I laughed, so did Dumase. "I am so excited about being an aunt!"

Thanda raved on about her excitement, asking Dumase many questions. She even asked us both about any names.

"I didn't know she was pregnant so no, we have not discussed any names." I chortled.

"We can discuss right now then!" Thanda squealed. I wanted to put an end to it but Dumase was interested in the names Thanda was listing so we listened.