~ Helping you remember ~

Start from the beginning

You nodded as Keith offered you and Ms Smith a warm beverage. Your hands touched for a full second. His fingers brushed against yours slowly, almost reminiscing the feel of your skin. You felt chills shiver down your spine. You didn't feel cold until Keith pulled away from you even though your cup steamed with warmth.

You took a sip of the drink and opened your eyes widely. "How did you know I like it like this?" You gasped. Keith chuckled sadly and gave you a half-hearted smile from the kitchen. "Oh... yeah-right..." you sighed.

Ms Smith chuckled. "Looks like helping (y/n) fall in love you again won't be so hard." You blushed and tried to hide your face into your drink but a flash of blue popped in front of your face.

"GAH!" You nearly spilt your drink as the blue dog jumped onto the couch and snuggled on your lap. "Keith? What happened to this dog? How did it teleport?!" You exclaimed. Keith laughed and walked over to you and sat down on the floor.

"His name is Cosmo and we adopted him a few weeks ago. He kept you company... While I was working." Keith looked down on the floor, combing his fingers in Cosmo's fur. You looked at Keith's solemn face and turned to Ms Smith who tilted her head down slightly.

"Um... What's wrong with that?" You asked.

"I... started working a lot harder than usual a few months ago. You started to get lonely and impatient. We didn't talk about it because I always came late and when we tried to, I always pushed you away because... I was scared to tell you what I was doing," Keith answered.

"I think that's my cue to leave. Keith, sit on the couch next to your girlfriend," Ms Smith slowly stood up and gave you one last look, "Remember (y/n), you chose him for a reason; trust him."

You slowly nodded your head and watched Ms Smith walk out. The first seconds were awkward at first. You could tell Keith was keeping his distance. He didn't hug you, kiss you and whatever he did, he did at a distance making sure you were okay. He rested his elbow on the couch's arm and looked away, almost painfully. You were a little hurt by this but Ms Smith's words really resonated with you.

"Keith?" You turned to your boyfriend and he gave you his full attention. "In the hospital, you didn't stop hugging me or crying. I felt really weird when you did that but I kind of liked it. Why are you stopping now?" You asked.

Keith turned away and took a deep breath. "This is my fault."

"How could this be your fault?" You asked.

"You overdosed yourself with pills because of me. When I was working, I would keep who I was a secret to protect you but that ended up hurting you and causing more damage than I wanted. You're in this mess because of me. I don't deserve you, if you don't want to be with me then that's fine. I... Understand if you don't want to be with me."

You started to tear as Keith leant against his knees, bowing his face on the ground. You put your drink on the ground and reached out to gently place your hand on his shoulder, rubbing circles into his jacket. You scooched over, ignoring the slightly annoyed Cosmo, and hugged Keith. He started to cry, holding onto your waist desperately.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I love you so much and I wish this never happened to you." Keith gasped as tears streamed down the sides of his face.

You held him tighter, closing your eyes. "I don't remember you too well. This place doesn't look that familiar but... I'm starting to remember. I can... I can feel us and it's really hard to describe it but... It also sounds like this was partly my fault. I forgive you Keith... and... I love you too."