Chapter 27: The Aftermath

Start from the beginning

       "And I have to go make sure he doesn't do anything stupid," Horatio said.

       "What did Shaw mean?" August asked. "When he said he thought he already found out."

       Horatio sighed. "Shaw has... quite a few people who would do anything to hurt him, even going after the people he really cares about. They've done it before and they, admittedly, won't hesitate to do it again. If it is who Shaw's thinking of, I won't let them get away with this. I've been wanting to lock them up for a long time now. Even if it's not them, I promise to you that I will find out who did this to your son."

       He left rather quickly, probably to catch up to Shaw before he did anything stupid.

       Even though I was listening to every part of the conversation, I didn't fully process what was being said until Horatio left. There was a high possibility that someone targeted Ollie. That someone was cruel enough to go after an innocent sixteen year old.

       And once it hit me, I started feeling tears stinging my eyes. "I'm going to go get some fresh air," I said before leaving the waiting room, then the hospital building. 

       It was quite cold outside and I already felt shivers throughout my body but I didn't care. I really did need fresh air right now and even some time alone.

       I sat down on one of the benches outside of the hospital, taking it all in. Ollie was the very first person I was willing to be around after my dad passed away. I didn't want to get too close to anyone because I was scared of losing someone else important to me.

       But Ollie... He was special. I didn't want to get close to him but I did.

       And now, everything could come back in a full circle.

       I wiped my tears away, taking a few deep breaths as I tried to calm down. It didn't help that I was feeling extremely shaky. I was surprised I was even able to walk over to the bench in the first place.

       Minutes passed and the feeling wasn't going away and on top of that, a feeling I hadn't felt in months was starting to return all because my mind was repeated the image of an unconscious Ollie being carried out of the school.

       I tried pushing the unwanted feeling away but it wouldn't leave. I couldn't even talk to Shaw about it because he left to find out who did this.

       I dug my face in my hands, still trying to take deep breaths and push this feeling away. I couldn't have this feeling. Not now.

       Someone sat down beside me so I pulled my face away from my hands to see Hennessy sitting there. She didn't hesitate before pulling me into a hug, something I desperately needed from her right now even if we weren't on the best of terms.

       "I'm sorry," Hennessy said softly. "For everything. I shouldn't have been so mad at you for dating Ollie when it's clear how much you're in love with him and how happy he makes you. I shouldn't have stood off to the side while I watched Mom kick you out for the stupidest reason ever. I'm a horrible sister."

       I didn't reply for a while. I didn't expect to get an apology out of Hennessy. A proper one. Even though it was a simple one, I could tell she actually meant every word she said.

       "I'm sure there's someone out there who's whose than you," I finally said. 

       "I really am sorry," Hennessy said.

       I pulled away from her hug. "I know. I forgive you."

       "You do?" Hennessy asked. "Just like that."