Chapter 66

I was just about to go exploring when I heard footsteps approaching the front doors of the stronghold. I then saw Luna run into the stronghold with her staff in her hands. With a yelp of surprise, she took several steps back while raising her staff.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa!" I exclaiming, holding my hands out in front of me. "Luna, it's me! Please, lower your staff. I do not want to become a toasted lupan!"

She froze, and I almost thought she was genuinely frozen in place before Luna blinked her eyes and looked at me in disbelief.

"H-Helix?" She began, a question glittering in her beautiful eyes.

I spread my arms out before me, "Yours truly-."

Luna bear hugged me, and I felt my ribs protesting the increased pressure that was applied to my chest.

"Y-You idiot!" She cried. Her voice was muffled as she spoke into my coat: "Everyone thought you were dead!"

"W-What?" I said, blinking my eyes in surprise.

"Your aura seemed to burn out a few hours ago, as if you..." She couldn't bring herself to say it.

I sighed through my nostrils. "Right...I think I was knocked out when you sensed my aura burn out."

She looked up at me in alarm. "Knocked out? What did you do this time?"

I laughed nervously. "I, uh, pissed Thaleous off. I kept calling him fuckface."

She huffed. "Well, I suppose you do have that effect on people. I'm just glad you're okay...."

I returned her embrace after she let up a little bit on her death grip on my abdomen. I then caught sight of Dorrian and Ana as they ran into the stronghold. Dorrian almost tripped on his own feet when he saw me.

"Whoa! Furry beastie four o'clock!" Dorrian shouted in surprise.

Ana paused and looked at me: "Furries? I love furries..."

I facepalmed and almost poked my eye out with one of my claws. When I was sure I didn't hurt myself, I broke the embrace with Luna. "Guys...it's me, Helix. Dorrian, lower that damn bow before you put an arrow through my knee...again."

Dorrian looked at me in confusion, "Hel? Is that really you?"

Ana smacked him upside the head, "Dumbass. Who else would tell you to not put an arrow through their knee again?"

He rubbed the back of his head and chuckled to himself. "You make a good argument. Sorry Hel..."

I chuckled, "Don't sweat it. I'm getting used to this new form as well, so if you see me stumble or fall, that's because I'm still getting used to walking on my damn tip-toes."

Dorian rose an eyebrow as Nova, Ben, and Stanford ran into the stronghold next.

"Whoa man," Stanford mused, "Nice upgrade."

I grinned, scaring Dorrian shitless, (I never realized grinning could scare someone so much. I guess it's all the sharp teeth) "Thanks Pinesworth. The one downside is that I have to get used to walking on my tip-toes. It's really fucking weird."

"It's also fucking wicked!" Nova shouted. She pulled out a small hammer and hit my kneecap with it.

"Ow!" I cried, making Dorrian jump again.

My mad sister nodded to herself. "Yep, same reactions to external stimuli as your human form. Stand still please."

She poked me with a needle and drew a little bit of my blood.