Chapter 23

After we ate, Virrius called me and Luna to his tower. Once we arrived there, he gave us an advanced lesson in offensive and defensive imagery magic when we reached his tower.

"Most imagists usually either go for offensive or defensive imagery magic when they've made a certain amount of progress in their education. However, Helix is the first person I know to be balanced in both skills. His defenses and attacks are stronger than what I would've expected." Virrius explained when we entered his tower.

"Where do I stand?" Luna asked.

Virrius thought for a moment as he idly stroked his mini-beard, (Because wise men who have a beard always stroke it) "I honestly don't know. For now, you seem fairly balanced, but I can also tell that your defensive spells far outdo Helix's. You'll need to further your training before I can give you a definitive answer."

"Okay. I'll do my best then." She replied with a determined gleam in her eye.

Virrius smiled. "I know you will."

"So this is your teacher?" My mother mused suddenly, much to my surprise.

"Shii-Please don't do that mom." I hissed after I had yelped in alarm.

"Oh, um, sorry," She replied, "I didn't mean to startle you."

I huffed. "Don't worry about it. Yeah, Virrius is my teacher."

"Hmm...just his aura alone is enough to show me how ancient he is."

I cocked an eyebrow. "Ancient? The guy's like two-hundred years old."

My mother chuckled, "Well, pardon me then. I'll let you get back to your lesson."

"Alright. Nice hearing from you mom." I replied

"Take care sweetie."

Virrius raised an eyebrow in question, "Are you okay Helix?"

"Yeah," I replied with a sheepish grin on the side. "Sorry, my mother just contacted me-my necklace kinda...talks."

Virrius nodded. "Ah yes, you told me about your necklace and your mother."

I laughed nervously. "Yeah, I'm glad I got my necklace exorcised. My soul's kind of damaged thanks to my...idiocy."

Virrius sighed, "To which I say: good job"

"Sarcasm isn't needed old man," I snapped.

"I am your master. I do what I want," Virrius shot back.

"Can we, um, continue with the lesson?" Luna asked in a meek voice.

"Oh, of course Luna," Virrius replied.

And so we continued the lesson. Luna proved to be quite masterful with defense magic. Her shields withstood Virrius' attacks while my attacks ricocheted off her yellowish-green shields and back at me.

Offensive imagery magic is tricky-Especially when you try what I do. For one of my spells, I move my hand forward suddenly, index and middle finger pointing toward my target. When I do that, a large spear-like projectile hurtles toward my target. I can then control its trajectory by rotating my wrist slightly. The homing lance, as I so lovingly call it, is extremely effective, and they're really good at quickly taking down an opponent or smashing through a particularly-strong shielding ward.

Luna's shielding wards, however, had other plans: They withstood my barrage of bolts and spears. At the end of this exercise, her wards were seriously cracked, but they did not break.

"Holy shit," I murmured, running over to her, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," She breathed, "That was terrifying."