Chapter 3

The next day, we packed up camp and set out for Helios. As before, I allowed Luna to ride on my horse while I walked beside her. (Judge me all you want, but I'd rather not have her faint on me from pushing herself too hard.)

About four hours later, we arrived at the gates of the sunbound city, Helios. Brooksvale was a fairly remote settlement, but it thankfully wasn't far away from Helios. The walls of the city glimmered a deep orange in the light of the rising sun, and I felt any tension in my body vanish as I continued to look at the lovely city before me-my home.

As we continued to approach the city gates, a guard's helmeted head popped up on the parapets and shouted, "Who goes there?"

"It's Helix. Let me in Lawrence." I retorted in a curt voice.

The guard sighed. "Hello to you too Helix. How did this mission go?" And as an afterthought, he added, "Anyone die?"

I looked up at Laurence and grinned, "Not this time. I only had to knock out a few people."

"Really now?" He began sarcastically, "That's a change of events. Eh, no matter. Stanford's looking for you, so I suggest you get moving."

I shrugged. Looking back at Luna, I smiled: "Welcome to Helios, capital of Alysia. It's a big place, so stay by me and you won't get lost."

She nodded, "So, what do we do now?"

"For one, we need to pay a visit to my boss, Stanford. I need to submit a report for this mission. Oh, and while we're at it, you can request a room to crash in. Fredrick would gladly give you a place to rest since you're with me." I continued as we walked through a residential area of Helios. The houses around us were modestly-sized, and they were built out of stone bricks rather than wooden logs.

"Oh, thank you."

"And, I'm sure Virrius has already sensed your-." I ducked out the way as an arrow flew through the space where my head used to occupy.

"Dorrian! You-gah! You ass!" I shouted as another arrow flew at me.

Luna seemed genuinely confused, "What's going on?"

"Get down!"

"Oof!" She squeaked as we both hit the ground.

A smoke bomb landed beside me and detonated: "Dorrian! You ass! Quit your shit and show your dorky-ass mug!"

"Aw, that wouldn't be any fun." Came a lightly accented voice, "I'd rather shoot arrows at you. It'd be funnier that way." A shadowy figure dropped down before me and walked out into the light of day. I studied the dark gray tunic, the forest green jerkin and cloak that billowed in the wind behind the spectre. He then flipped his cowl back and that shadowy visage promptly disappeared. My friend's face was smooth as a baby's rear, and his indigo eyes twinkled with childish glee.

Dorrian loosed an evil laugh, "So, how'd the mission go?" He paused and cocked his head to the side in question as he noticed Luna. "Oi, who's the lass? Since she appears to be with you, I take it your mission wasn't a complete bust."

A painful grin appeared on my face: "My mission went swimmingly, you twat. I didn't kill anyone, so that's an achievement at least."

He raised an eyebrow in disbelief: "Seriously? You didn't kill anyone? I'm quite impressed really. You always seem to find a certain amount of joy in turning your foes into kabobs."

I rolled my eyes: "This is Luna. She..." I looked at her: "...wanted to tag along after I disbanded the slave trade going on in Brooksvale."

"Well, Cheers Luna!" Dorrian chortled, "I'm impressed that you haven't strangled my good friend yet."