Chapter 16 || I'm Sorry About Being Naked and All

Love can alter anyone's life. It can make you feel invincible or make you feel helpless. It can bring tears or a bright smile. It could be the best and the worst thing that could happen to you, but in my case, I couldn't have been happier.

I'm not much of a morning person, but sitting here at my kitchen table eating Frosted Flakes with a smile on my face contradicted my hate for the morning. My long pajamas brush against my feet as they move underneath the table, tickling my toes gently. This only enhances the smile on my face from a mere grin to a full on frontal smile.

"What are you smiling about?" Anna walks in, her hair a mess from sleeping.

"Nothing." I answer sharply, my cheeks growing red.

"You know, I'm done with Colton now." she tells me unexpectedly. I look up at her, seeing if she is playing games with me, but the stoic look on her face proves me wrong.

"Are you serious?" I ask, my eyes wide.

"Yes, I don't know about Beth, but I'm over this. I need to focus on getting into college on a scholarship." she explains to me, sitting down in front of me.

"That means a lot, I'm happy." I smile, taking a spoonful of cereal into my mouth.

"I know you have my journal." she says abruptly.

"What." I stammer, trying to recover.

"I know you know what I do, and since I forgot about this whole thing with Colton, you will forget about the journal." she bargains.

"You can't be serious. There are other ways to make money. What you're doing isn't right." I tell her sincerely.

"Don't act like you care, kid. If you really did, you would've confronted me about it the minute you saw those entries." she scoffs, leaning on her elbows.

"You know that is not fair." I tell her, looking into her eyes angrily. "Anna, you need help. You're a hooker!" I cry out, my hand hitting the table.

"Keep your voice down for the love of god." she whispers harshly. "I'm an escort, not a hooker."

"You're having sex with men way older than you, I read the entries myself. You can't lie to me." I tell her, my voice lower than before, not wanting our conversation to be heard by anyone else.

"You know, I'm not doing this for myself, how do you think mom is going to pay for college for all three of us?" she asks me, tilting her head to the side. Her actions clearly telling me this is enough justification for what she is doing.

"We can get scholarships and jobs, you don't have to sell your body." I tell her, hoping my words resonate with her.

"This is for all of us, so please just leave me alone." she stands.

"Anna, please, stop it." I plead, following her up the stairs.

"Or what?" she questions, stopping and turning around.

"Or I'm going to tell mom." I tell her sternly. I watch her reaction, the widening of her eyes, the raise of her eyebrows, and the blood in her cheeks fading. I've clearly shocked her even though I don't know if my words are completely truthful.

"You wouldn't." she tells me through gritted teeth.

"I'll tell mom that you are a--"

"You'll tell me what?" my mom appears behind us with a basket of folded clothes in her arms. She has on her usual weekend clothes and her hair tied into a bun, clearly unprepared for Anna's actions.

"Nothing, Belle was just yapping about Colton again." Anna lies, clearing her throat.

"Ah, this is sisterly bonding. Embrace it Annalise, you'll remember this moment forever." Our mom smiles at us, walking up the stairs and into Beth's room.