Chapter 9 || Maybe I Should've Got Stoned

I woke up the next morning with the sound of my phone buzzing on my nightstand. I press the home button, seeing all the notifications I got last night. Texts from Sabrina, Colton, and numbers that don't have contact names were all texting me about the party and how stoned I looked. Each minute from 1:00 in the morning, a new notification emerged.

I groaned loudly, wondering how the hell these people have somehow managed to get my number. I unlock my phone, sifting through the texts, ignoring all of them, including Colton's.

Not only was he asking me what I was doing smoking weed, but long paragraphs asking for me to forgive him also were included on the list. There were only three, each one repating the same thing as the first.

"I never meant to hurt you. Please talk to me. We can't give up this easily - Colton."

I rolled my eyes at all of them, trying to figure out what to actually say to him. It's true that I like Colton more than I can admit, and I want to believe that this will never happen again, but if it's as simple as one of my sisters being there to cheat, that's a little bit scary, edging towards terrifying.

It's hard trying to be the strong girl that can handle a situation like this and acts like she's been through it multiple times, but the truth is, this is my first time. I'm as clueless as I was the day I caught them, still trying to put the puzzle pieces together to form a pretty picture. But as the days pass, what I'm wishing for isn't the reality that I'll end up with at the end of the day.

The weekend passes quietly, giving me enough time to prepare for the official prom pep rally at school. This has been a thing at West Valley High since the beginning of time. The whole meaning and point of it all is to allow all the people that want to run for prom king and queen to tell their class why they should vote for them. Although I remember vaguely telling most of my peers of my intentions at Sabrina's party, it wasn't official until Monday.

I study the list of all the things that are supposedly 'cool' to the people of our class that Sabrina sent me, going over every single bullet as best as I could. The list wasn't that long, but I still wanted to get it etched into my system. The last thing I want to do is royally embarrass myself again.

So when I woke up Monday morning, I was reciting the list word for word as I slipped on the blue dress Sabrina told me to wear, but opting for my white converse instead of my heels. I managed to put on some makeup correctly, and tying my hair up in one of those pretty buns that you only see beauty gurus do or see on Tumblr.

Ever since my argument with Drew, the fight with my sisters, and Colton and I's differences, I started taking rides from Sabrina. People were slowly excepting out friendship that was seemingly becoming more and more authentic. Of course we still had our deal in place, but we also laughed and joked around with each other in the process. We weren't exactly in the 'I'd Die for You' stage, but securely placed in the 'If You Need Me, I Got Your Back' stage.

The school was buzzing with excitement when I walked in, everyone anxiously awaiting who was going to attempt to run at prom. I expected my name to be one that wasn't mentioned in the groups if gossipers often, but as I passed them all to my locker, the name Annabelle King was all I could hear.

Clearly people were shocked to see a nerd like me, looking hot and high at Sabrina's party. Of course it was embarrassing, but I was slowly learning to deal with it. Realizing it was going to be something I'd look back on and smile about. High school memories is all it will be at the end of the day.

My first class ends quickly, followed by my next one, followed by lunch, and soon after the moment that would change how this plot against Beth would go.