Chapter 29: All My Sins Remembered

I’m in the principal’s office, surrounded by my shell of light standing across from the Legion incarnation that appears to be in charge.  Other avatars are standing nearby, one of them is holding Maggie.  I have Police Officer Paige and the demon nurse at my side. 

“I’m here, I surrender,” I say.

The demon nurse looks at me, “Why are you giving up?” he asks one last time.

“Quiet,” the Legion avatars say in unison.  Simmons pulls out his gun as if to threaten the demon to shut up.  Before he can pull the trigger, I unmake the gun, pulling it apart until it’s just dust seeping through his hands.

“Enough of these games,” Legion says. 

“I am the Sword of God.  You have no power compared to me.  Why should I give up?  I can kill all of your avatars in this building.”

“And more avatars will be born.  Margret will not be.”

“If I surrender, will you promise to leave her alone?” I ask.

“We have no reason to harm her,” Legion says.

“I want your other avatars to leave,” I say.

“You are here,” Legion says.  “We don’t need them anymore.”

I can feel them all scattering.  Things are finally coming to an end.

“He’s just a kid.  You don’t need to do this,” Officer Paige says.

“We cannot let the Sword fall to the light again.”

The last remaining embodiment of Legion raises his hand.  There’s only one weapon he has that can really hurt me, and I gave it to him.  Pain.

All of Legion’s hosts are connected.  Long ago, I learned that when I tortured one, they could all feel it.  Eventually, I would kill the body and the fragment of his soul would scream with agony as it seared its pain into Legion’s collective consciousness. 

Pain is chaos.  It is energy that is writhing.  It wants to change, it needs to change.  And change is the one thing that can kill an angel.  There’s only so much pain an angel can take before the stability of the light is torn away from it.

In a school filled with frightened children, it took the pain of five violent deaths to break Maggie’s guardian angel.

Legion’s soul contains the pain of thousands and thousands of brutal deaths.  It’s filled with souls screaming out because of what I did to them.  And Legion is going to focus them all into me.

I’m afraid, but a part of me is embracing the idea.  A part of me thinks that I need to be punished.

People are dead because of me.

I let down the sphere of light around me.  It won’t protect me from what’s coming.

“I’m ready,” I say.

“After everything you’ve done, are those your last words?” the final avatar asks, without his counterpart speaking in unison, he barely sounds like Legion.  His voice sounds human. 

I turn to Officer Paige, “Say goodbye to my Mum for me.  Tell her that I’m sorry for the pain I’m about to cause, but I don’t have I choice.  Tell her that I love her,” I say.  I quickly glance at my two companions.  I barely know them, but it’s nice to know that I won’t be alone.  “Thank you both for being with me.”

The demon nurse takes my hand.  “We’re here for you,” he says.  I don’t know what he means, but I accept it. 

I turn to Legion.  “I’m sorry,” I say to it.