Chapter 8: The Date

It’s been a couple days since I talked to Maggie’s aunt. According to Maggie, we need to wait until her aunt’s colleague gets back from Spain before we can pursue that avenue. I feel like we are back to square one for now.

Damien’s coming over. I wonder if he could help us. Maggie wouldn’t be happy if I told him anything. To her, he’s a virtual stranger, but I feel like I know him.

I’m in my room. I hear something outside and look out my window. A car’s driving up to my house. It’s actually pretty nice. At least I think it is. I don’t really know cars.

Day comes out of the car. He was the one driving.

How old is he?

I look in the mirror and try to quickly fix my hair. The doorbell rings and I run down the hall to get it. “It is for me!” I call out, hoping my Mum doesn’t answer it. She does.

“Aaron, your friend is here,” she says. I’m right there, it was somewhat unnecessary.

“Thanks,” I say.

Day is dressed casually but he looks really good. He always looks good though. I think he just wakes up that way.

“Hey,” Day says. He gives me a shy smile. I’m pretty sure this is a date. At least I think it is.

“Hi,” I say. I’m kind of embarrassed to be like this in front of my mother. “Do you want to get going?”

“Sure,” he says.

I put on my shoes quickly and I head out. “Bye Mum,” I say as she closes the door behind us. We head to the car. I get into the passenger side door. “I didn’t know you could drive,” I say.

“Yeah,” he says, “I have an early birthday. It’s my Dad’s car though.”

“That’s still cool.” I haven’t even gotten my learner’s permit.

We drive to the movie theatre. We had already decided what we’re going to see. We talked for like an hour on the phone last night, just random stuff; I’m considering holding an intervention for Maggie if she cuts her hair any shorter; Day’s worried his sister isn’t letting herself adjust to her new school.

We’re listening to the radio, discussing what music we both like.

We get to the theatre. Day turns off the engine. The radio’s still on. We both sit there for a minute listening to the music.

“I love this song,” he says. I do too. He looks over at me. I look at him. He leans in and so do I. I can feel his lips against mine. I close my eyes.

I’m fairly sure this is a date. At least I think it is.

I have wanted to kiss him for so long.