Chapter 7: Knowledge is Power

“So, he just stopped by?” Maggie says.  “That’s kind of weird.”

 “That isn’t the point of the story,” I say.  “Can we move on?”

Me and Maggie are walking downtown.  She said something about having an idea about where to find the Sword.  I’m telling her about Day’s visit yesterday.

 “Fine, but that’s still a little strange.  Did he text or anything before he came over?”

“No,” I say.  “What’s the big deal?  You drop by sometimes.”

“Yeah, but I know you’re oblivious and leave your cell phone in your room.  He doesn’t know you that well yet.”

“Hey, I’m not oblivious.”  My mind is just elsewhere sometimes.

“Sure,” she says.  “So where are we going now?”

“I don’t know.  You said you had some sort of clue.”

“And you’re just following me?  What if I was taking you somewhere dangerous?”

“If you wanted me dead, I would’ve been buried long ago.  Where are we going?”  I probably should have asked a while ago, but I’ve been thinking about Day.

“We’re going to see my Aunt.  I think she might be able to help us find answers.”

“Is she some kind of mystic or something?” I ask.

Maggie laughs.  “What world do you live in Aaron?  She’s a professor.  She studies Art History.  If the Sword’s some sort of relic, she should be able to help us get some information on it.”

“Is she a tomb raider?” I ask.  I’m a little excited.  “Do you have tomb raider in your blood?  Are we going to raid ancient burial sites with you in short shorts and a tight tank top?”

“So, are you officially willing to accept that you’re just my sidekick then?”

“I’m so not your sidekick.  This is my quest.  The angel chose me,” I say.

“Maybe you’re just the messenger boy.  I mean, clearly, I’m leading the charge.”

She does have a point there.  “How about if we’re partners?”

“Fine,” Maggie says, “but no short shorts.”

“What if I want to wear short shorts?”

“You can wear whatever you want,” she says, “but I really don’t think you have the thighs for them.”

“What is wrong with my thighs?”

“Nothing, they’re just manly.”  I’m not sure if that’s a compliment or an insult.

I just kind of shrug.

“So what happened?” Maggie asks.

“What happened with what?”

“With Day,” she says.  “He stopped by, and then what?”

I tell her the rest of the story.

“So, he asked you out?” she asks.

“I think so,” I say.  “I mean, he asked me if I wanted to see a movie.  I think it was meant to be a date.  What do you think?”

“What did he say exactly?  Did he use the word date?”

“No, but who uses the word date?  It sounds so formal.”

“Are you sure he’s gay?”

“He held my hand.  I’m pretty sure we were about to kiss.”