Chapter 25: Mercedes, Lucian, and Castiel

Start from the beginning

       "Only Grant and Hennessy?"

       "Unfortunately, yes. Like I said, I met his family. And while Grant has been clean for a while, there's not a one hundred percent chance that he will stay off of drugs. Relapse is very common among people in recovery."

       "So... What does him having a chance to relapse has to do with you meeting his family?" I asked.

       "He'll have an even higher chance if he doesn't have supportive people by his side," Shaw said. "And his mom... Definitely not the most supportive person and she doesn't seem like she's the type of person who would change her mind about it. Trust me, I tried, and I'm a very persuasive person."

       "I still don't get it."

       "Just think about it this way. If you were sent back to live with your mom and she continued treating you the way you did before, do you think there's a chance you would relapse?"

       "I hate to admit it but yes," I said. "And I see your point now. But... Grant really misses seeing his brothers but his mom won't let him. That's why I wanted to help make things better with his whole family."

       "I think you can still find a way to get Grant to see his brothers again," Shaw said. "Especially if you do choose to help fix things between him and Hennessy."

       This was getting all too complicated. I had to help make thing right between Grant and Hennessy, but not Grant and his mom, while trying to find some way Grant could see his brothers.

       I just hoped if Vikram and I really did try with Hennessy and Grant, things would actually work out. But with those two, we couldn't be too sure.

       My cell phone suddenly beeped so I pulled it out of my pocket to check the message. And it wasn't a surprise to see it was just a text from Grant being melodramatic.

       "I should head home," I said. "Grant said if he's lonely any longer, he's going to cry and lock himself in the washroom. But thank you, for listening to me about my problems, even if they're not alcohol related."

       "Hey, I'm here for you for anything you need," Shaw said. "Not just for your addiction. Come on, I'll walk you home."

       We got up, leaving the cafe and as we were heading to my house, a young voice suddenly called out, "Daddy!" before a little boy rushed over to Shaw and wrapped his arms around his legs. 

       Seconds later, two slightly older kids, a boy and a girl, hurried over as well. "Save us," the girl said in a whisper. "The evil man has us."

       "Mommy's at work so we're stuck with him," the youngest boy said. "Can we come over? Please?"

       Before Shaw could even say anything, a man walked over. "Alright, kids, you've had enough time to say hi to your dad," he said. "Time to go."

       "No!" the youngest said. "You can't make us!"

       "Just let them come with me, Hugh," Shaw said to the man. "Besides, I haven't seen them in a while like I'm supposed to so I technically should have them sometime this week."

       "Sorry but I have to run it with Kendra first," Hugh said. "But I'll save you the time since I know what she'll say. No."

       I didn't know much about what was going on but from what I understood, these kids were Shaw's children and that man was either babysitting them or was the partner of their mother. But babysitter seemed highly unlikely since they would obviously stay with Shaw since he wasn't busy. The reason he agreed to meet with me to listen to my problems was because he was free.