Chapter 42: Unconscious

Ralph's POV

I held Gen's hand and kissed it as I missed it so much.

She's still unconscious. May bandage ang ulo niya pati na ang kamay niya. Aside sa IV na nakaturok sa kamay niya, may mga tube siya sa bibig. Katatapos lang ng operation niya at nasa ICU siya ngayon. She's very delicate. Ang sabi kasi ng doctor ay hindi pa siya magaling. After her operation, she's still responding. Kaya medyo nabuhayan ako. But the doctor also said to be open to the idea that she might not make it. Ayokong tanggapin sakaling 'yon ang mangyari.

Sinabi kasi ng doctor na critical ang lagay niya and her brain surgery made her more critical. Sinabi rin ng doctor na hindi niya masabi kung kailan ito magigising. She has multiple complications. She bled a lot and she hurt her body and head when she was hit by a car. I wanted to sue the driver who did this to my wife. I wanted to know everything about that time. I know I should not blame anyone since it's an accident, but Gen doesn't deserve this. My baby doesn't deserve to be under therapy now. Ang dalawang mahal ko sa buhay ay napunta sa alanganin ang buhay because of that careless driver.

"Why are you like this? I am not used to seeing you like this." A tear fell from my eyes. "Please fight for us or for our baby at least. He needs you. I haven't seen him yet, but I know he's adorable." I wiped the tears overflowing from my eyes. Naalala ko kasi yung araw bago mangyari lahat ng 'to. Gen was so excited to see the baby. 'Yon pala mapapaaga ang labas niya at ito pa ang nangyari. Maybe there's a purpose why Gen showed me our baby's room. She taught me everything I needed to know for the baby in that room and where things were located. Doon pa lang may kakaiba na akong naramdaman but I disregarded it.

"Please, Gen. Please fight. You'll be teaching me how to change diapers, remember? 'Yon ang sabi mo sa 'kin. You also promised me that you will never leave me."

The scene flashback in my mind instantly. Yung time na nangako siya sa aking hindi niya ako iiwan no matter what. I am still counting on that promise kahit alam kong ang laki ng kasalanan ko sa kanya. I am counting on the love she has for me.

I kissed her hand again before I put it back down. "I'll be back. I will just check our baby. Pagbalik ko, I will tell you what he looks like." I smiled.

Sabi kasi ng nurse kanina that I can peek on the window later to see my baby.

Lumabas ako ng ICU. When I finally got out, I picked up my phone and dialed my assistant's number.

"Hello, Sir Ralph?"

"I want you to get a copy of the CCTV on the area where Gen had the accident. Let me know ASAP if you have it."

"Okay, Sir. Noted."

"Thanks." I put the call off then went to the nursery section.

As I walked my way there, my heart was beating fast. I am excited to see my baby, but I am also scared to see his condition.

"Anak, mabuti nandito ka na. Kanina ka pa hinihintay ng nurse." Sinalubong ako ni mommy malapit sa nursery. She also stayed here since last night. She didn't leave my side, and I am so happy I have her with me cause I really need someone right now.

"Did you see my baby already, Mom?"

Umiling siya, "Hinihintay kita. Gusto ko sabay tayong makita siya."

I nodded at her. I was touched but I didn't have the energy to show to her how much I appreciated all her efforts.

Lumapit na kami sa window receiving area.

"Good morning, Sir. Are you here to see the baby?" I nodded. "What's your name, Sir?"

"Ralph Tan. I am the father." My heart skipped a beat when I said the word father. It felt surreal. I still can't believe that I am a dad now. Everything happened unexpectedly—when I had Gen pregnant and especially my baby coming out this early. Nevertheless, I am so proud to call myself a dad.