twenty three - talk fast

Louis had spent so long trying to fix himself, but as soon as those words escaped his lips, he felt free. He felt ten times lighter, and he was ready to float across the room to talk to Harry.

Eleanor huffed loudly and stormed off toward her friends, leaving Louis to go talk to the person he really wanted (and needed) to talk to. He pushed his way through the crowd, gaze never leaving Harry's curly head.

As soon as he reached the younger boy, he snaked his arm around Harry's waist. Harry's body tensed at the second unfamiliar encounter of the night, but his face lit up when he realized it was Louis. It seemed that the alcohol had helped him to forget their fight just hours before.

"Louis!" Harry squealed, throwing his arms around the older boy. Louis held him up easily, despite Harry putting almost all of his weight on the shorter boy.

"Harry," Louis replied, smiling widely but much more calmly than the curly haired boy.

Niall and Liam exchanged a confused look, glancing between each other and the scene in front of them. Niall leaned closer to Liam's ear, muttering, "Since when are they talking again?"

Liam shrugged, keeping a smile plastered on his face. "Let's just go with it."

"I'm so glad you're here," Harry exclaimed, breaking the uncomfortable silence without even noticing it. "We're having so much fun, right, lads?"

"Yeah, so much fun," Niall agreed, giving Harry an enthusiastic thumbs up and a supportive nod.

"Haz, can we go somewhere and talk?" Louis asked quietly, grip on Harry's waist tightening slightly as Harry attempted to dance to the music. Louis needed Harry's attention right now.

"I want to dance," Harry pouted. His eyes lit up again as he glanced back at Louis, adding, "I'd rather talk to you, though."

"Alright, let's go, love," he replied, happiness and anticipation rushing through him. "We'll be back soon," he said to Liam and Niall, guiding Harry carefully through the crowd.

"Take good care of him, please!" Liam called after them, a worried expression already forming on his face. "How did Harry get so wasted from like two drinks?"

"A fucking lightweight," Niall laughed, rolling his eyes and grabbing another beer. "Come on, there's still a party going on." Liam simply shook his head, glance once more at Louis and Harry as they made their way toward the stairs. He had a bad feeling about this, but he wasn't going to ruin their moment over a ridiculous superstition. They were meant to be together -- everyone besides them had seen it from the moment they met for the first time.

With his hand on Harry's lower back, Louis carefully guided the boy through the rough crowd. Harry would normally be overwhelmed by the lack of air in the room, but he couldn't find the energy or focus to care about that right now. His mind was very fuzzy and bright, and he was absolutely thrilled about it.

"Good to go up stairs without breaking anything?" Louis asked, slightly concerned as Harry wobbled on his feet.

"Of course," Harry scoffed, grasping the railings on both sides and starting slowly up the stairs. Louis stayed close behind him, ready to catch him if he fell. "Liam only gave me one drink. Actually, maybe it was two? Either way, I'm fine," he rambled, focusing intently on the stairs in front of him.

"If you say so, love," Louis shook his head, hoping that Harry was at least sober enough to understand him when he said that he broke up with Eleanor. Either way, he was glad to get the younger boy out of that crowd. Just the thought of that other man's hands on his boy made his blood boil. He didn't need anyone else admiring Harry's beauty too closely tonight.