Ch. 4

STB: Chapter 4 - Clinic

Jian Hua hung up the phone and the phone screen automatically changed to the standby background.

It was a dark background with a handsome, heroic general holding a halberd. His face was tired and he was covered in blood, but his sharp eyes seemed to pierce through the screen.

Jian Hua silently moved his finger to the settings icon, chose a picture of landscape trees and replaced the original ‘Crows’ desktop background.

He was in a small clinic receiving saline and glucose. If his body hadn’t been so good, he probably wouldn’t have been able to stand up now.

“You are this frail but you still want to work?” The old doctor of the clinic disagreed with Jian Hua. They were acquaintances. The elderly doctor was a general practitioner with no special skills. He only treated minor ailments on weekdays.

Huai City wasn’t a particularly bustling city. However, there were two large film and television bases, so there were crews filming here almost every day. Many young people dreaming of entering the film and television circles rented a house in Huai City and crowded the subway every day. They would wait in the cold wind for the crew members at the entrance of the film and television bases in the city.

They lived with tight constraints, had no medical insurance and didn’t have much money to see a doctor. Jian Hua was once one of them, so he was familiar with the doctor of the clinic, Old Cheng.

“Young man, what have you been doing?” The old doctor rubbed wiped the lens of his glasses and picked up his stethoscope. “You haven’t eaten for a few days? Go to the hospital for a comprehensive inspection and then recuperate at home for a month!”

Jian Hua smiled. His body was his life so he wouldn’t treat it so lightly. Last night’s experience, no one would believe it.

His eyes fell to the cup on the table. The water suddenly sloshed out, spilling a little bit on the desktop.

Old Cheng didn’t see it as he kept talking. “Compared to other young people, you are successful enough. After spending a few years in Huai City, you have bought a house and a car. I told you to quit smoking and find a nine to five job. You look good and are energetic, so it shouldn’t be hard.”

Jian Hua was silent. If he hadn’t received the call the Li Fei, he would’ve really left the film and television circles.

He took big risks in the past few years and earned a lot of money. However, he used most of that to buy a house and didn’t have much savings left. After leisurely spending half a year at home, he couldn’t continue doing nothing.

“You said on the phone that you would accept the work. But you have to go to Haicheng to sign the contract. It takes three hours by bus so can you do it?” The bearded Old Cheng scolded him.

Jian Hua frowned as he got a headache. “Say it tomorrow.”

Wasn’t this too exaggerated? If he was really so fragile, how could he get to the clinic for treatment?

Old Cheng glared at him and moved busily.

It was a noisy place, with the loud cries of a child not willing to receive an injection and a loudspeaker outside. However, this ruckus was the easiest way to Jian Hua to feel relieved and he fell asleep. He didn’t wake up even when the nurse came in to change the IV.

Jian Hua was dreaming.

He dreamt of an endless barren desert where the sky was an ominous blood-red. There were crows sitting on dead tree trunks, letting out ugly hoarse cries.A young general slowly turned around, his posture upright and his back like a mountain.