Chapter 31

Ethan's POV

I almost felt like my heart had stopped beating for a second.

The pain on my arm that distracted me in the last seconds vanished as if it never existed. Owen's grip on me loosened as he sucked in deep breath in shock. Slowly, as both of lay there, helpless, Skylar fell to the ground.

A pool of blood formed below her, pouring onto the soil. Skylars eyelids dropped as though she was going to sleep.

"No.." I mumbled to myself and quickly jumped to action.

I pulled her head into my palms and examined it. No. It's not the head, thank God.

My hands now went to search her hands. Although they were covered with blood, I couldn't spot a significant wound anywhere. That's when I found the blood oozing out of her back. She had been shot in the back.

"We need to take her to the hospital, now!"

"Call the paramedics. There's no way we can drive to the hospital without any medication."

"The ambulance cannot get in here, this place is deserted." Owen explained. "Ethan, she is losing too much blood, we need to hurry."

Although it didn't seem like a good idea, we had no choice left. We had to take her to the hospital on our own. I picked her up in my arms and hurried into the car. As soon as we were inside, Owen drove as fast as he could.

"Skylar, please open your eyes for second." My voice was too low for her to hear.

I couldn't understand why I couldn't say anything. Seeing her in a pool of blood left be without any words. My vision was getting blurry by the ticking seconds.

She took a bullet for me.

I was supposed to do that for her. I was supposed to protect her from him.

I almost started shaking when we reached the hospital. The paramedics took her out of the car and rushed her into the operation theatre while I just stayed behind. I sat there inside the car, staring at my finger, drenched in her blood.

The events replayed in my mind. I could still feel her warm body over mine as she took the bullet for me. And then, I broke down.

The car filled with my sobs, as I lay my head down and cried. There seemed no end to it. Everytime I thought, my mid wavered back to how she protected me.

Why did she do it? Did she have any clue about what she was doing. She could've pushed me away, why did she have to take it?

I shook my head. I can't keep waiting here. I need to make sure she's getting the best treatment possible. I need to make sure she's safe. I got out of the car and raced up.

"Who is the relative of the patient?" The doctor was enquiring Owen.

"Me." I said. "I.. she's my wife."

The doctor nodded. "Your wife lost a lot of blood. And I'm afraid we cannot assure her survival through this."

"What the fuck are you even saying?" I yelled at her. "You are a doctor and you're supposed to save people! What do you mean by-"

"Ethan, calm down!" Owen tried too cool me.

"No!" I said. "She has no idea what she's talking about! Skylar cannot-"

"Then you should have been careful. We've agreed to operate on her without getting the police involved only because we want to save her. And we just want to tell you what the truth is. It's not easy to save a pregnant woman with a bullet inside her!" She snapped at me.