Chapter 3

Ethan slipped back as blood oozed out from the side of his mouth. My eyes widened at the sight of my brother throwing a blow at someone. Nick looked outraged as he took yet another step to punch him across the face. I was silently praying for Ethan to defend himself from my brother but he just stayed as still as he could, with no hint of self protection.

Ethan slowly got up, grunting in pain, but Nick was unstoppable. Not even my entire power could control him. I begged him to calm down and let me explain to him but it was as if he could hear nothing but his own mind telling him to kill someone. I found no choice but to stand in the middle of the two men, seeing as it was the only way to calm Nick down.

"Get out of my way, Skylar." Nick warned me. I had seldom seen him this angry.

"No, stop. You're hurting him!"

"I'm going to kill him." Nick said, looking over at Ethan.

"You can't just kill someone. You need to calm down and let us explain-"

"Explain?" Nick looked at me incredulously. "My sister gets married to the only human I hated my whole life and you expect me to let you explain?"

"You need to listen to me-"

"I can't listen to you explain or defend your husband!" He roared. "You married him. You lost every right to explain anything to me the moment you promised to be with him forever!"

"Nick, you don't know what happened!" I tried to say.

"Of course, I don't!" Nick said. "And I don't even want to know how you fell back in love with him after fooling me that you were over him for seven years!"

His bitter words stung in my heart. "Don't say that. I wasn't fooling you-"

"Get out." Nick said, making me flinch in surprise.

"W-what?" I asked, not sure if I heard him right.

"I asked you," He said in a low voice, "To get the fuck out of my sight."

"You're throwing me out?" I asked in disbelief.

"No, I'm handing you over to your husband." Nick said, looking over my shoulder with a disgusted look.

"Dad.." I looked helplessly at my dad with tears streaming out of my face. But I was astonished when my father moved his eyes away from mine, avoiding any eye contact. My heart fell at the sight of my family going against me.

"Nick, you can't-"

"Skylar, please leave. I can't even look at you right now."

***

The air was a blend of fresh wind along with the aroma of roasted meat coming from a barbecue placed a little away from us. The weather seemed warmer than usual. I felt contended for a moment to be at peace and not be conscious of what was happening around me.

After being in a profession that required me to always be conscious about myself, even a moment of escape seemed highly liberating. People here could barely recognise us but I was making it difficult for them to ignore me by looking like a bride that ran away from her wedding.

"You'll probably want to let your manager know about your current relationship status." Ethan spoke, drawing me back from my reverie. "I'm sure it won't be pleasing for her to read about it in the news tomorrow."

"That soon?" I asked him, as he poured himself a glass of water.

He brought the glass to his lips and took a sip. "Yes. I've talked to the news channels. They have our wedding pictures that will not be posted until tomorrow morning."