Chapter Fifteen: The Roof That's On Fire.

Start from the beginning

I had pushed the magazine back into his hands, not irritated. It was bound to happen if I proceed to spend time with him in public. I was irritated that I hadn't been able to spot out any cameras in the first place. My 'who's stalking me' game was usually on point.

I shook my head from the thought when my phone buzzed in my pocket, bringing me back to the present.

Taking it out of my pocket as people moved around Jake and me, I looked down at the screen and almost dropped my phone out of my hand.

Staring at the suggestion my Apple device had given me, I felt myself freeze.

My eyes are deceiving me. This is a joke. This is a fucking joke.

I don't know how long I was looking at my phone when Jake waved his hand over it. I flinched, moving my eyes to spot a confused expression on his face. "What's wrong?"

I turned my phone, so he could see, and my voice unexpectedly came out hoarse. "Do you think it's him?"

"What the hell?" Jake loomed over my phone and read the text out loud slowly. "Hey Oct, it's K any chance we could talk?" Jake shook his head in disbelief. "Oh, he's delusional if he thinks you're going to talk to him."

Just then my phone buzzed with the number I knew, and I froze. Jake snatched the phone out of my hand, answering the call. "Hello, hi, no she is not going to talk to you. Do not call this number ever again. Adios, cunt."

Jake hung up, a bright smile on his face as he handed me the phone back and I struggled to be still my heart which was racing. The palpitations must not have been good for my body, I had a hard time trying to take in a breath. I moved my eyes up to Jake's, regaining my composure. Trying to regain my composure. Failing to regain my composure when I whispered out, "What the hell?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was going through my emails that night when I felt my phone buzz again. With Krystal gone in LA and Angie off at an event with one of her clients, I lay sprawled out on my couch with my laptop on my lap, in a huge hoodie and shorts. My hip hop playlist labeled 'leave me alone' was playing on full blast throughout the house. A glass of red wine in one hand that almost fell out of my hand at the sudden buzz.

This was more interaction I've had with my phone that I've wanted to have in a day unless I imitated it.

I slowly pulled my phone out, glancing at the number. This time it wasn't a number I recognized.

I answered the call without saying a word but when the other person said something, I didn't know whether to roll my eyes or groan into a pillow at the sound of his voice. "Octoberr!" He exclaimed.

"Caleb." I sighed but a smile came to my face at the idiot's voice. "How did you get my number? I never gave it to you."

"Angie. C'mon who else would give me your number? Jake is too loyal to you."

"Angie is too."

"Yes, but Angie is Angie," He stated.

I took a moment to realize what that meant. Angie could be at Caleb's beck and call if whatever they had was strong. Angie was a smart woman but when she had a significant other, she could do anything for them.

"Why did you call?" I asked, crossing my legs on my couch.

"I was going to approach you today, but I figured it wasn't a good time since we were working."

"About what?"

"Our little deal." His accent slipped out at that sentence and I sucked in a deep breath, taking a sip of my wine.