twenty

I sat in the booth with Ross playing with my engagement ring on my hand. While scanning over the menu. I looked up at Jay concentrating on his menu. His Rolex watch I gave him a few years back still on his wrist. I had never given any one that expensive of a gift. Ross would take it back the jewelry store because we needed to save for the wedding and a new house. The waitress came by, gave us our drinks, and took our menus after we ordered.

"How has life been for you two?" Jay asked stirring his drink with his straw.

"It's been good, we got engaged about three months ago while we were vacationing in the Florida Keys." I smiled looking at Ross. "We've been living in Miami, I work at Porsche and Ross works at a plastic surgery place."

"It sounds like a useless job for sales and marketing but I'm going back to school at night to be a plastic surgeon, and I market how to get clients and you know sales." He shrugs.

"Your too modest Ross, most be hard not to able to pay the bills so you have to change careers and go back to school." Jay smiled, "but I am not spending eleven thousand dollars or whatever a night on my ex fiancé and her fiancé's hotel room just to talk shit."

"Apparently you did. Jay can't you leave the past behind us? We have obviously moved on, why can't you?" I asked holding Ross' hand who was a little upset by Jay's insult. He was anything but "failed career" and "broke" and I could tell Ross was disappointed that we would go up to New York City to just get attacked.

"Because I'm not like either of you. I won't be able to hold a relationship for long. Eight months is a pathetic for a thirty one year old. I want to get married and have kids and grow old with someone."

"There's still time to change. Ross, my love, could you go back to the hotel. I think it's for the best." I smiled and gave him a reassuring kiss on the cheek before he got up to go back to the hotel. I knew Ross was upset, so letting him be free to enjoy New York and let Jay get out his feelings openly, was for the best.

"Look Arden, I didn't want to sit here and feel bad because you're in a happy relationship and I'm still single."

"I'm not rubbing your nose in it and you need to chill. Apparently a year didn't change anything for you. You're still immature, one day you'll hopefully grow up. I feel bad who falls in love with you. She's just wondering around the earth probably miserable just like you." I was so close to grabbing my bag and leaving, but then the food arrived. "I didn't come all the from Miami to fight with you. I just wanted to catch up, all good and peaceful vibes, but frankly that's not what you want."

"Oh no, I wanted to tell Ross we literally hooked up the night before you left." Jay ate a bite of food.

"We kissed, we didn't hook up. Ross doesn't care, he's just happy you're out of our lives now, this was a mistake meeting up with you."

"Arden, I'm sorry I just wanted Ross to leave. Okay? I want us to act like adults now, and not fight across the table." Jay smiled. I looked disapprovingly at him as he continued to eat. I wanted to leave so bad but I was also curious what kind of bull shit would come out of his mouth. The rest of the lunch with me staring at my food disappointed. I just wanted to go home with Ross. Once Jay paid, I got up and left without Jay. I heard him run towards me.

"Arden come here, can I get a hug before I go to rehearsal? Also here are your tickets." Jay said handing me the passes.

"Jay, all the times I walked away from you and I wanted you to follow me you know, convince me to get back together with you. This is the first time you've followed and right now I just want to go home." I saw the disappointment wash over Jay's face. "I'll go tonight, but this is the last time. Don't call, text, or email me after tonight." I grabbed the passes and walked away. As soon I was back at the hotel, I laid down on the couch. Ross was out shopping, surely worried and upset about what happened. When I texted him, he said he would be back soon as possible but he had a few more stores to hit before coming back. I stared at the ceiling, that was detailed, and thinking how different my life could have been if I stayed. I would have been down right miserable and would have put up with many more scandals. I'm so happy being engaged to the love of my life. It still had me wondering. My life would have been filled with a-list parties, following Jay around the world, being cheated on a lot still, and it would be so lonely. Ross walked in with his bags just in the middle of me thinking about Jay. I got up from laying down and sat crisscross on the couch while he put his bags down on the kitchen table. I took a deep breathe through my nose and Ross sat next to me.

"Is everything alright, you look stressed?" Ross asked before I put my head on his shoulder.

"Lunch was a mess, I'm so sorry Ross. We shouldn't have ever came." Ross kissed my forehead and frowned.

"Arden, it's okay. We can just go to Jay's concert tonight and I'm sure Jay is leaving tomorrow morning. Then we have two days in New York for ourselves." He smiled. Ross's smile could make my whole day better again and he knew that well. "Plus that, his concert is in a club, we can drink and dance. After a couple drinks, we can just relax and forget about lunch."

"You know I love you right?" I said facing towards him. I grabbed his hands from his lap, "I think I can't drink anymore though."

"Why is that?" His whole face lit up with glee knowing what I was going to say.

"I'm pregnant. I found out late last night because I wasn't feeling well and I skipped my period, and I wanted to wait for the right moment to tell you and I just knew this was it." I smiled at him before he kissed me gently and hugged me tightly.

I am so happy with my life now.