chapter two- a contagious smile

╔═══════════════╗

LIANA had decided that she hated dementors more than she had hated every student in Beauxbatons combined by the time they had finally reached school.

She had never encountered one before and greatly hoped to never have to be near one again. The bone chilling cold still made the hairs on the back of her neck stand up, she could almost feel her most miserable memories floating around her head. When she lost her teddy bear aged three, when Grey locked her in a wardrobe for five hours by mistake and when her parents used to argue for nights on end in the living room with the door closed to muffle the noise. Bad memories, the kind that made your face curdle like sour milk.

She had also had a brief encounter with the new Professor Lupin, who had eyed her with a great deal of curiosity much to Liana's confusion as she tried to avoid his awkward and prolonged looks. He had been asked her what her last name was, a bit of a strange question considering he had never even seen her before.

She was relieved when they finally reached the safety of the castle that she could recognise from picture books Grey and Christina had showed her when she was little.

It was grand with towers jutting out of the slanted roof, pinpricks of light visible from within sparkling glass windows, the lake just a dark rippling shadow in the night and the gentle rustle of trees from the forbidden forest filled her ears in a peaceful way. Hogwarts had a mysterious, serene beauty about it.

However much to her outrage, once she had entered the school with her newly acquired friends she was made to stand next to all the first years to be sorted. Grey had gladly hurried away from her as she tried to wrap her arms around him and beg him not to leave her, his slim cheeks painted scarlet as he shook his head at a pretty girl in Ravenclaw who seemed quite taken with him, attempting to play things off coolly as he pried Liana's hands of him.

Hermione had been reluctantly dragged away by Ron, while Harry was bashed on the head by George with a book for staring at Liana for so long he started tripping over his own feet.

"when your name is called you will put on the hat-" Professor McGonagall continued to drone on about instructions that Liana didn't really care enough to listen about. Instead, she glanced around the small room she had been crammed into along with the other first year students.

She seemed to tower over the smaller students with her long legs. She also looked a lot more at ease with the ghosts who were swooping round and Peeves, who was happily calling insults out to them as he dangled out of reach. This may have been due to growing up with two wild siblings, but the noise and bustle relaxed her.

She watched the shaking, small children stumble out into stage and jam a ugly ripped looking hat on to their head when their name was called. The hat would shout a house and the child would run off. It seemed simple enough to Liana.