~Pieces~

Abel Carver hated his brother, he hated him when they were children, he hated him when they were in high school, he even hated him at their parents' funeral. He despised him when he married and had a child. He despised him when he was brutally murdered.

Then they shoved his offspring on him.

An annoying, small, irritatingly similar reminder of the only person on this earth that always managed to ruin his life. And now he's left behind his child to continue the torture.

His niece was, thank god for small favors, at least less compelled to destroy his life. Things would have gone very different and been nigh unbearable if the little brat actually showed any interest in bonding with him, thus ruining his life again.

Well, he could drink to his brother's death and the slight escape from his torment.

The only thing left that bothers him is her face. Sharp chinned, slightly upturned nose and those annoying dark eyes that can see everything. Just like Luke.

He needs another drink.

"Mr. Carper?"

Ah yes, Ariana Mills - beautiful, curvy and did not belong in this small town any more than he did. Unfortunately - she's also married and - bleck - happy about it too. Marcus Mills was . . . the definition of small town happy farmer. What this charming sophisticated woman saw in him way back when would never make itself clear to him.

"Yes Ariana, I heard every word. Now why are you telling me this?" He pours himself some of his favorite bourbon, crystal decanter clinking against its matching glass.

She sighs and pushes her fingers against her forehead. "Because, as one of this towns major supporter in many places, it's your duty to attend. The governor needs to see his funds for our schools to help and you can - " She taps her chin in mock thought. "Help persuade him."

Abel rolls his eyes; they were like his mother not his father or brother - "I see. You need me to bribe him. Got it."

She very nearly laughs. "If you want to be tactless. Yes."

"Right. Well - I'll be sure to wear my Sunday best should that be of any help."

She promptly stands and slides on her coat. "Whatever you do just - be smoother about it."

And she leaves.

The house silent once more. Able shrugs and takes another swig of his too early in the day glass of alcohol.

The front door slamming shut only destroys his moment completely.

Return of his brothers' legacy.

The only other person in his house that he has no use for. Not only that but she dares to barge into the sanctuary of his living room.

"I - oh." Her dark eyes flit to the glass in is hand as he regards her flatly, willing her to disappear or anything else.

"Need something dear." He spits out the last word for her cringing benefit.

"No." She doesn't meet his eyes - something that always nipped at him and made him sneer in disgust, at least when he was judging him, Luke had the decency to look at him with those infuriating eyes.

"Then why are you invading my personal time?"

She shuffles towards the bookshelves, the only thing left behind from her grandfather - Abel's thought about burning it more than once.

"Just need to research. Paper due. Bye" And she - Able blinks, shockingly the girl feels off today. Like there's something going on.

He sneers at his glass. Doesn't matter. He just needs to down this drink and take a snooze in the nearest arm chair, then repeat tomorrow only, afterwards he needs to get ready for a party and successfully bribe a politician. Just how his evenings were usually scheduled.