Recap of Protostar and Prologue

MAP OF ATLANTIS

****Spoiler for Protostar****

In this series, try to imagine our world, but with entire nations; continents even, hidden amongst the Earth's mightiest oceans. There are three of these sovereign nations: Atlantis, Lemuria, and Mu. But so far, this story was mostly centered on Atlantis.

Atlantis occupies the Northern Atlantic Ocean. Like the other two nations, it possesses a Veil from which it's lands can be protected from Human eyes. Our boats, planes, and undersea cables pass freely through it without us even realizing that this entire part of the ocean is a big simulation.

It is a simulation made possible through the use of magic. With it, the populations of all three nations are free to go about their way of live without worry of being discovered by us; whom they call Outsiders. Most inhabitants of this "Mystic World" are referred to as Magus's; those capable of performing magic. Magus's are like us, but in addition to possessing abilities, they are their own race. There are also special Magus's called Morphers. Morphers have the ability to shape-shift into their Creature Forms, which are basically mythological creatures.

Magus or Human; every citizen of Atlantis has an Echelon, which ranks a being's magic capabilities. Every Human is an Echelon One, which means they possess no such capabilities. Echelons Two comprise of wand-users and Elves. Echelons Three and Four comprise of those who can possess Shards. So can Echelon Fives, but I'm not there yet.

Shards are the symbol of a Magus's power, in fact, they are what give a Magus power. Think of Shards as small, bright objects the size of pinheads. Though small, they are what give a Magus full access to their magic potential (their potential depends on the higher number of its user's Echelon). Shards are worn in the shape of jewels, rings, bracelets, and necklaces. They are first acquired by Magus's upon completion of The Endeavor.

Here's how the Endeavor works. Every quarter of a year, cities from all around the Mystic World send their newly-turned 16-year olds to the nearest port to be taken abroad. These ceremonies happen on Excursion Day. January 1st, April 1st, July 1st, and October 1st of every year are Excursion days. Every Excursion Day, an Expedition returns from the Northern, arctic land of Hyperborea; which is a pair of islands that are also concealed by a veil. This expedition comprises of every 16-year old who had left on the Excursion Day three months prior to them. In is within this span of time that they have undertaken The Endeavor; which is a rite of passage for all newly turned 16-year olds. On Excursion Day, the arriving expedition leaves, and the next one boards the ships to head North themselves.

It is at the Endeavor where every citizen of all three nations; no matter their Echelon, parental wealth, or social status, will have an equal opportunity to understand society and prepare for joining it on their own. For a normal Human upon completion of the Endeavor, this could simply amount to them getting a clear idea of what they should pursue in life. For some Magus's, it means getting their own Shard. Once the Endeavor ends, another begins. This is how the mystic world has run itself for centuries.