Chapter 26

"I do not understand, outsider," Dresden said as they went.

Shah repeated himself. "Sonic's time here was limited, Dresden. As is mine."

"And then where do you go?"

"Back to our land. We can only stay here for so long."

"I wanted to know more about her."

"I can tell you anything you want to know."

"Have you been friends with her long?"

"Yes, quite long. I taught her to fly – " Shah stopped. There wasn't a single word or phrase in the entire language of the Hep to describe an aerial assault fighter. "Er, I taught her to fly," he repeated lamely.

"You can fly?" Dresden asked, amazed. "I know the Custodian is capable of such a feat, but usually the power is even beyond those endowed with great magic!"

"We have assistance," Shah said, as if this explained everything. Both he and Sonic could technically fly unassisted, if they so wished. It just made more sense to fly in a fighter craft. They came with bigger weapons.

And Dresden was definitely disappointed by the turn of events. Shah would've thought the bunfight currently taking place was of greater concern, but apparently not. "Sonic may be back – "

"May?"

"'Will' be back, Dresden, when the time is right," Shah said, hastily correcting himself, while thinking: Looks like Sonic's assessment was right: poor kid's fallen pretty hard. Ariadne 'Sonic' Hernandez was, to all intents and purposes, one very good-looking girl. In fact, their organization was positively lousy with beautiful people (a consequence of biological manipulation at the atomic level), but given that their 'baser' instincts were kept in check, it didn't mean so much – a blessing, really. What Shah couldn't tell Dresden, though, was that Carla Hadley would likely be next, and whoever else happened to have heard of the Anomaly interconnect would follow after. They were, after all, a very curious bunch.

Something occurred to Shah. "Where is your katarn?"

"You know of Mohon?"

Shah nodded. "Sonic advised me of all that transpired here, Dresden. I had hoped to meet your friend."

"Mohon was sent with the evacuation guard before the battle commenced," Dresden said. The regret was evident in his voice. "I could not have him with me."

"Why not?" Shah asked, then the answer occurred to him. "Ah, of course. Other guards would recognize you. And your mother would be informed."

Tayra was listening to their conversation. "The Queen is the true master of the katan, outsider. But Dresden is more than ready to fight with us. I truly know of none better with the bow."

Shah looked at Dresden, impressed. "High praise, Sire Faramay."

Dresden was about to reply when Tayra held her sword up, then ushered them to the side of the road. A moment later, two spear carriers emerged from the gloom, the blue-fire tips of their weapons hissing in the dust.

"Jeren, Mura, that is you?" Tayra asked.

"It is, captain," the closest spearman answered. "We caught the brute you were chasing, but there are others farther along, not many. Captain Finas and his men are close now. Hela is masked and watching the road ahead, but the smoke is revealing her." He lifted his helmet slightly and spat a large gob onto the road, lighting up a cobblestone. "Klem beasts made this storm so we couldn't hide!"