Chapter 27

".... Are you fucking kiddin' me?" Daniel exclaims from the living room area of the suite, drawing me from a restless sleep.

I sit up to listen to what he's saying, wrapping the cool white sheets around my naked form.

"Shit! So you definitely think this isn't just some nut job playing games? I mean using a burner phone suggests this has all been thought out... right?" From the sound of Daniel's voice, I can tell that he is pacing the room.

"OK, I hear you. Chris has assured me that the list of fans I've had trouble with will be with you by end of today." The silence that follows tells me he is listening to whoever is on the phone. "Like I said earlier, I don't want to see the footage today, and I definitely don't want Lizzie seeing it today. I'm having to fly back to Ireland tomorrow evening, so can we meet tomorrow morning to go through everything you've found so far?"

What footage? My mouth goes dry immediately at the thought of what the private investigator has managed to uncover already. I get out of bed quietly and walk to the bedroom door with the sheet still wrapped firmly around me. I peer through the gap in the door, and see that Daniel is in fact pacing the room.

"That sounds like a plan. Any news on Ed?" He asks while biting his thumb nail.

I freeze in place at the mention of Ed's name, and watch Daniel nod as he listens intently. "OK, well see what you can find today."

I let out the breath I was holding slowly, relieved that there is obviously no news about Ed.

Gently, I push the door open and Daniel's eyes flicker up to meet mine. I see his expression soften before he smiles at me. I beam back at him. I mouth shower to him, and make my way to the bathroom.

I wrap my cast in a plastic bag with a frustrated sigh, and hold it out of the flow of the steaming hot water. The intensity of the water is almost painful against my skin, but I feel as though it's exorcising at least some of the anxiety from my body.

Once I'm out, I realise that I can only hear the sound of the TV. I walk into the living room tentatively, and see Daniel typing away on his phone.

"Everything OK?" I ask, making Daniel jump.

"Yep, everything is fine. How you feeling?" He asks before pouring me a fresh cup of tea.

"Thank you." I gratefully take the cup from him. "I'm good." I lie, knowing I need to take some painkillers before the throbbing in my hand becomes too much to handle. "You?" I ask as I rummage through my handbag, snapping out two naproxen and swallowing them with a gulp of tea.

"I'm fine." He lies just as smoothly back to me.

Our eyes meet, and we both smile sadly at each other knowing that neither of us are really fine. He pats the seat next to him on the sofa, and I gladly sit next to him. I drape my legs over his lap, and take a sip of tea.

"So, Hollywood. You going to fill me in on your conversation earlier this morning?" I raise my eyebrows at him.

"Of course I am." He looks at me pointedly. "I spoke to Rhys, the private investigator. He obviously doesn't have a lot of information at the moment, as he's only been on the case for a few hours. However, so far he's informed me that the silent phone call you received, and all of the messages left on your work phone were made using a burner phone... which means they're untraceable."

"I know what a burner phone is, Daniel. I have seen Sons of Anarchy!" I say evenly.

Daniel looks at me like I'm crazy mentioning a fictional TV show right now, but I stare back at him knowing my reference to the show is completely reasonable. Daniel shakes his head in disbelief.