Chapter 69: Shoot The Runner

Start from the beginning

But what will she make you do to them?

I shake my head. There's no need to think those thoughts. I know why those slivers of emotions are seeping through into my mind, but I had to do that. I had to destroy those Comansys ships. They were close to finding a way to cure the mind control. I couldn't let them continue. Caleb just happened to be on the ship.

If he would've just come back with me and Maxine and Paula when we escaped, he would still be alive. So really, him dying was his own fault.

You know that isn't true.

I'm closer to Abel now-maybe twenty feet away from the gates. The darkness shields me from view, but I still crouch down, keeping my body behind the leafless trees, just to be safe. After a split second, I rush forward, climbing over the fence near the latrine block. It's not very well guarded, so I don't have to worry about any noise I made while climbing over the fence.

Then I start moving, trying to stay silent as the snow crunches under my feet. God, I've missed this place. I take a look around, at the buildings, the empty streets. Of course, no one in their right minds would be out at this hour. Only very few people come out when it's this late, and this cold.

"Just wait there for a second, Five," Moonchild instructs. "You've come through the perimeter and into Abel, but crouch down into those bushes. Someone's coming."

Three people. I see them, their silhouettes casting down onto the snow, the lights from the outside buildings showing me glimpses of their faces. I gasp.

"Haven't heard anything," Jody says, her hands in her pockets. "At least, they aren't sayin' anything."

"You'd think they'd know this is serious." Sam scoffs. "'Just a runner.' Bullshit! She's my Runner."

"And my mum," Milo interjects. He looks down at his feet sadly. "I just want her back home."

"We all do," Sam sighs. "And I'm not gonna give up. We're going to keep looking until we find her."

My heart wrenches at hearing the pain in Milo's voice. I don't want that. I want him to be happy. He's my son-my baby. He and Penelope both are.

A part of me wants to reach out to him, tell him I'm here, I'm safe, I'm happy. And soon he will be too.

But I don't.

Because she doesn't want me to. And if Moonchild doesn't want it, then neither do I, so I push that part of me that wants to call out to my son into the farthest corner of my mind.

"This is wonderful, Runner Five! You can move again in a moment." Moonchild lets out a deep breath. "I want you to understand why this is important. When we talked, you said you thought I was holding something back... I-I know you'll help me anyway. I know you will. I'm so-I'm just so moved by your loyalty! I now know why you've got gold sparks in your aura!"

I smile widely, and inch forward just a bit, to prepare to stand, but in doing so, I cause the bushes to rustle. I freeze, and through the corner of my eye I see all three heads turn to me. I'm far enough away to where they can't run and grab me, but they might just be able to see me.

"There's someone over there in the bushes," Jody says, and I see hope flash across Milo's face.

"Mum? Is that you?"

"Stay still, Runner Five," She commands. "I don't need to tell you that, of course. And you've got your escape route planned. I have been holding back from you. I haven't told you everything about the zombie repelling device, and why I need to have it. And I want to tell you everything. That's the only way we can help each other."