24| Thank You

(Friday December 28)

Mai's POV

The cold weather outside made me a little unmotivated. But nothing was going to stop me from going to the first day of my job as a waitress in the small coffeeshop near Diana's place. It was called Sweet Coffee.

They needed new employees and they seemed super nice people to work with, so it would be an amazing job for me. The shopkeepers were a couple in their mid 50 and they seemed like this sweetest people on earth.

My phone buzzed after I left home to go to work. It was Chan who was calling me.

"Hello?"

"Good morning."

"Good morning to you too. Whats up?"

"Oh can we talk today, I have to tell you something important."

"Well I'm off to work now. So if you can we'll meet up after 6, okay?"

"Oh yeah no problem. I'll pick you up at six then. Good luck."

"Alright, see you at six. Bye."

Chan sounded really defeated and that stuck in my mind for the whole day. Hopefully it isn't something too bad.

In honesty, work was hard. For a small place like this, a lot of people came by actually. I was wrapping up all my stuff after the last customers left. The only thing I needed to wait for now, was Chan.

"You need a ride home?" A voice from behind me said.

It was Emily, she was the other employee in the coffeeshop. We didn't really talk because it was so packed that we constantly needed to work. The only times we could talk was when we had a break.

Emily was a nice girl, at least that's the first impression she gave me. She was tall and had blond hair. Her eyes were a light blue that gave off a vibe of the sea.

"Oh, someone is already picking me up. But thank you for the offer." I said with a smile to her.

"You're welcome. Well see you tomorrow then." She said while taking off to her car.

A honk made me jump a little out of surprise. Looking back in front of me I saw Chan's car and walked to it and seated myself in the car.

"Hello." I said while bucking my seatbelt.

"Hey. How was it today? Tiring?" He said while starting the engine.

"Kind of, yeah. It was really packed and only me and Emily where there to take orders of customers so it was really tiring. I thought it would be hard communicating with people but in general most of them are nice. The first day went well, if I say so myself." I said to him.

"Well I'm happy that it went well." He said in a somber tone.

"Is there... something wrong?" I asked him.

"No, not at all."

"That doesn't sound very convincing."